As a fan of "Mad Men," I was really shocked and utterly surprised while viewing the finale to the first half of their final season. You see, this advertising agency dramatic series set in the '60s is full of drama and many surprises, as many of us know. But none like this one!
Those of us who have followed the show for the past seven years know that it centers on ad man Don Draper and his many conquests in business and other assorted pleasures and problems. For those who watched this final episode, you saw the recently deceased, top agency executive boss, Bert Cooper appear right in front of Draper, which is stirring in itself! But, get this Cooper breaks into a song and dance routine with pretty dancing girls, as if in a musical from Broadway or a 1950s movie musical. The song they performed was "The Best Things in Life are Free."
Listening to this surprising ending, I couldn't help but think, are the best things in life really free? Of course, we have the very air we breathe, and maybe personal freedom, which some of you may disagree with. In the lyrics of the song, "The moon belongs to everyone, the stars belong to everyone, and they gleam there for you and me. The flowers in spring, the robins that sing, the sunbeams that shine, they're yours, they're mine, and love can come to everyone. The best things in life are free."
I then stumbled onto a piece by Lori Deschene who asks Tiny Buddha's Facebook followers "What do you love about life?" Here are some of their responses:
1. Love (Hansoul Kim)
2. Family (Jo Alunan Taguinod)
3. Just being able to wake up to the sun shining in the morning (Norma Lewis)
4. The ability to overcome hardships and appreciate what I already have instead of wishing I had more. (Ivy Lokojarvi)
5. Our ability to empathize. It allows us to connect and support each other. (Heather Fulton)
6. The ridiculous things my dog and cats do. They live in the moment and enjoy being alive and it reminds me to do the same. (Rachel Campbell)
7. That I am someone who makes a real difference in the world (Marlu A. Soria)
8. Moments of realization that I'm not alone as I too often think I am. (Caleb Davis)
9. My children being healthy and happy. (Angelica Ortega)
10. Every breath I take reminds me I'm still here and still have much to enjoy. (Lorna Goodman)
These are just a few personal thoughts and glimpses of and about life that just maybe are free. What are your thoughts as to the best things in life that are free and you enjoy? What's next, "Mad Men"?