WARREN -- Fire officials said they plan to talk to two teens today who were inside an apartment on the city's west side when it caught fire Tuesday night to help ascertain what might have caused the blaze.
Warren Fire Chief Ken Nussle said the teens escaped without injury. However, their father and grandmother, who were also home at the time, suffered burns and smoke inhalation and remain at an Akron hospital. He said he is not sure of the extent of their injuries.
The two were taken by helicopter from Trumbull Memorial Hospital to the burn unit at Akron Children's Hospital. Three others were taken to TMH and St. Joseph Health Center.
Their names have not been released.
Nussle said officials are not ruling out that the fire may have resulted from someone cooking something.
Around a dozen people were at the apartment complex at 1500 Stewart Circle N.W. when the fire started just after 7 p.m. on the first floor. Nussle said most of the fire damage was confined to the apartment where it started, but other parts of the six-unit complex sustained smoke damage.
Howland, Warren Township and Champion fire departments provide EMS units and support.
``Given the fact that there were quite a few people in the building at the time we don't know how many people may have suffered some after-effects or injuries or gone to the hospital on their own. If they did, we can't confirm that right now. What we know is that five were transported via ambulance,'' Nussle said.