WARREN Tanya Barlow was able to explain how she felt in one sentence as she watched fire crews battle the afternoon blaze that destroyed the West Market Street business she owns with her husband and another couple.
"What took 16 years of our lives to build has been ripped down in just minutes," she said.
Barlow was working along side her husband, John, when Lifetime Muffler & Auto Repair, the shop they own with Richard and Hazel Khlem, caught fire around 3 p.m.
It was one of three blazes that firefighters were called to simultaneously this afternoon.
A house fire call came in for 142-148 E. Washington St. a short distance east of North Park Avenue moments after arriving at the muffler shop.
"That made it even worse, if it could be worse," John Barlow said. "They had to split up so some of them actually had to leave here to go over to that fire. They didn't have proper manpower."
If fire crews were not busy enough, they received another fire call around 5 p.m. to 712 Vine St. to a kitchen fire caused by a pot on the stove. When crews were there, the fire was out but an ambulance was called for a person with smoke inhalation.
Read more about the this afternoon's fires and see photos in the Tuesday Tribune Chronicle.