COLUMBUS (AP) Ariel Castro, the Cleveland man who held three women captive and raped them repeatedly over a decade, has committed suicide, according to a corrections official.
Castro, 53, was sentenced on Aug. 1 to life in prison plus 1,000 years on Aug. 1. He pleaded guilty in July to 937 counts, including two charges of aggravated murder related to one act of forcing one of his victims to miscarry.
Castro said he was a victim of child sex abuse himself and said he had a sex addiction.
The Cleveland house where the three women were held was demolished last month as part of a plea deal that spared Ariel Castro a possible death sentence. Prosecutors say Castro cried when he signed over the deed and mentioned his "many happy memories" there with the women.
The women escaped May 6 when one of them broke part of a door and yelled for help.
This is a breaking news story. Additional details will be forthcoming.