WARREN - Five occupants of a Fairfield Street duplex damaged by fire on Thursday escaped unharmed.
Warren fire Chief Ken Nussle said the blaze started in an upstairs bedroom at 601 Fairfield St. N.E. and is under investigation.
He said eight people live on the side of the duplex that caught fire just before noon. Five people, including two adults and three young children, were there at the time and were on the first floor.
Warren firefighters stand outside a duplex on
Fairfield Street that caught fire on Thursday. Five occupants, including three children, escaped the blaze.
Tribune Chronicle photos / Virginia Shank
Nussle said one of the occupants told firefighters a smoke detector alerted him there was a problem, and when he went to check it out he saw smoke coming from the upstairs bedroom.
"This is just one more example of how a smoke detector can help save lives," Nussle said. "Because they were all downstairs at the time, chances are he may have seen the smoke in time anyway for everyone to get out. But it's not worth taking that risk."
No injuries were reported. Damage to that side of the structure was estimated to be about $20,000. Nussle said he didn't think the residents would be able to stay there, at least not immediately.
Nussle said a woman who lives on the other side of the duplex came home as fire crews were working to extinguish the flames. He said her home was not damaged.
Gregory Sampson of Kinsman owns the property. The occupants' names were not available.