Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Place An Ad | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

Mon., 12:32pm: Sisters rescued in Girard fire

January 14, 2013
Tribune Chronicle | TribToday.com

GIRARD -- Two sisters were transported to a local hospital for observation after a fire broke out in the kitchen of their Patricia Drive apartment this morning.

Capt. Sal Ponzio of the Girard Fire Department said the 17- and 18-year-olds were hanging outside an upstairs bedroom window when firefighters arrived around 8 a.m. He said heavy smoke was coming from the apartment at the multi-unit complex, which was evacuated. Fire crews used a ladder to rescue the sisters.

``The girls' mother wanted them checked out as a precaution,'' Ponzio explained. ``They were scared, but they're OK. There was a lot of smoke and they were trying to get some air.''

Ponzio said the fire was caused by ``unattended cooking'' and was quickly contained to the kitchen area of the apartment. He said no one was injured and a man sleeping in a basement apartment, as well as two cats, were also rescued unharmed.

Damage is estimated at around $10,000, he said.

 
 
 

 

I am looking for: