WARREN - About 10 members of the Occupy Warren movement protested in various locations around Courthouse Square Tuesday, including a downtown bank, until the police were called.
Members of the group protested about 10:30 a.m. in front of the Chase Bank near Warren's Courthouse Square Park until someone inside the bank called police. No arrests were made. The group then moved its protest in front of the Trumbull County Administration building during the regular county commissioner meeting.
"Today, we're just standing up for the 99 percent," said Matthew Wengerd of Champion, a leader of Occupy Warren.
Protesters took to the streets of Warren Tuesday for May Day.
He was referring to what he described as the 99 percent of Americans who are in the working class, but must comply with rules and regulations of the other 1 percent who control U.S. lawmakers. He said Tuesday's effort was intended to show solidarity among middle class and workers in unions.
''Today is May Day," Wengerd said. "It's a day of remembrance, throughout the last many, many years where unions fought for the working class. And we're here today to show solidarity for them."
The group had called for the protest of corporate America, and called for a boycott Tuesday of banks, gasoline purchases, chain restaurants or stores. It also called for residents to not go to work or school Tuesday.
The group has about 20 members from around Trumbull County.