Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Place An Ad | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS
Clean gene delays stuff getting done

November 6, 2011 I squinted down the penciled line, lined up the power saw and pressed the safety lock. Just as I was squeezing the trigger to unleash that board-chewing growl, a dust rug swished to my righ. more »»

This is your brain sizzling on Facebook

October 30, 2011 Scientists say there’s a direct link between how many Facebook friends a guy has and how much gray matter crams his cranium. more »»

Fun things to do on yet another rainy day

October 23, 2011 A family of ducks knocked on my door. The quacking sounded more like gurgles. They wanted to come inside to dry out for a while. I peered through yet another downpour. more »»

Getting bugged by cricket chivalry

October 16, 2011 New studies say male crickets will risk their lives to protect their mates from predators. Great. more »»

Hubby lost alone at home

October 9, 2011 Family business took my wife out of town for a couple days, and I missed her something fierce. I can’t find a thing without her. more »»

Recycle pumpkin innards

October 2, 2011 All I wanted was some practical, fulfilling uses for that gooey, squishy stuff you scoop from inside fall pumpkins. It’s the kind of thing one must consider now that it’s October. more »»

Combobs and nomers plague prefixes

September 25, 2011 Disheveled prose strikes me as discombobulating. So I strive for heveledness so that you and I may be combobbed. I find that eptness with words makes for gruntled readers. But it’s tough. more »»

Celebrating moth’s history as computer bug

September 18, 2011 For such a momentous, culture-changing event, the anniversary went largely unnoticed. Sept. 9, 1947 — the first recorded actual debugging of a computer. It was a moth. Seriously. more »»

Recycling fit(ness) takes shape

September 11, 2011 My wife reigns as a recycling master, and it worries me. She is prone to fits of recycling. By recycling, I am not referring to the tubs in which she separates plastics, glass, metals and paper. more »»

Rescue your brain by eating chocolate

September 4, 2011 At any given moment, roughly 98 percent of the American population is on a diet. The other 2 percent plan to start next week. Forget baseball. Dieting is the true national pastime. more »»

It’s time to bring back the metal lunchbox

August 28, 2011 Schools are refilling with gaggles and giggles of students well stocked with iPads, flash drives, laptop computers and the occasional book. more »»

See your summer off in odd festivals

August 21, 2011 Is your summer missing a food fight full of overly ripe tomatoes? Cheer up! Summer’s not over and neither are the weird and whacky ways to celebrat. more »»

Checking out photo deposits

August 14, 2011 My bank tells me that to make a deposit, now all I need to do is take a photo of the check with my cell phone, zap them the photo, and the money will be deposited into my account. more »»

Fridge attracts a great swarm of magnets

August 7, 2011 The refrigerator, as happens with many major and important discoveries, came about by happy accident. One day some guy searched for room to plunk the 32,437th novelty magnet onto his collection box. more »»

Konfushion rains over language oddities

July 31, 2011 My driver’s license claims I live in the state of Ohio. It also claims that I am the weight I wish I was but am not. My driver’s license cannot be trusted. In truth, I live in the state of confusio. more »»

Cooking and cleaning on the run: Recipe for picnic success

July 24, 2011 Drat! To get to the picnic on time, you have to be out the door in 20 minutes, and you’ve yet to start a covered dis. more »»

Men and the lost art of finding things

July 17, 2011 The woman slammed the office phone, looked to the heavens and roared: ‘‘Why can’t men find things?’’ I ducked beneath my desk, scooted behind the chair and began duckwalking it down the hallway. more »»

(Mis)Directions fun, easy and strange

July 10, 2011 I hate it when a friend asks for directions. It means I’m going to have to look up road names. I rarely know the name of the road I’m driving, and for good reason. more »»

Kids go and color parade

July 3, 2011 Cousin Ollie was the most patriotic kid I knew. Ollie duct-taped red, white and blue pinwheels to his bicycle handlebars. more »»

Column best thing since ...

June 26, 2011 Is sliced bread the epitome of our genius? Every lick of progress for decades arrives with the proclamation, “It’s the greatest thing since sliced brea. more »»



I am looking for: