Orchids and Onions
• ORCHID: To Warren native Dennis Drummond, recent contestant on NBC’s “The Voice,” who never forgot his roots. Drummond now lives in Nashville, but proudly proclaimed his Warren roots on the show. The musician made good last week on his promise to return to Warren for a local performance.
• ONION: To vandals who used pellet guns to recently damage cars and homes in eight separate incidents in Champion Township, beginning on Thanksgiving Day. What’s worse, these nasty, uncaring acts come during a time intended for thankfulness and sharing.
• ORCHID: To Warren city leaders and the city’s engineering department for approving $570,000 in funding from local and Ohio Public Works sources to make good on a years-old promise to upgrade sanitary sewers in a southwest side development that often floods during heavy rains.
• ONION: To the driver of a construction vehicle who crashed Monday morning into another motorist’s vehicle and a utility pole on Niles Road SE, Warren, and then ran away as sirens approached, leaving the abandoned truck behind.
• ORCHID: To all the many organizers, donors and volunteers who came together to help prepare and serve Thanksgiving meals to the needy all around our area. This generosity made the holiday more special for many who might have otherwise spent the day alone or hungry.