Orchids and Onions
• ORCHID: To police and firefighters in Liberty Township, Niles and the Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office, who have agreed to cover emergency calls during Sunday’s funeral for Girard police Officer Justin Leo. This kind gesture will enable all Girard first responders to pay their respects to Officer Leo and his family.
• ORCHID: To the Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention Opiate Task Force for going door to door this week to educate the community about the hazards of opiate abuse. The group distributed educational information about how to recognize the signs and symptoms of an overdose in neighborhoods where overdose deaths have been significant. Education is a big part of solving this crisis.
• ONION: To thieves who stole three outdoor air conditioning units worth $6,000 from Triedstone Baptist Church in Warren last week, leading the church to put up another $500 in reward money. Really? Stealing from a church? That’s just sad.
• ORCHID: To Someplace Safe for hosting its 23rd annual Unity Day observance marking National Domestic Violence Awareness month. This year’s theme “No More” shared important stories of hope from domestic violence survivors.
• ORCHID: To members of the Southington Cemetery Association and community volunteers who have been working hard to correct tilted or leaning pioneer markers at the Pinecrest Cemetery.