On the record: Fowler, Southington
WHAT: Township trustee meeting Monday
PRESENT: Al Crabbs, Tom Carr and Jeff Davis
• Approved getting a culvert replaced on Cadwallader Sonk Road near the former Prestwick Golf Course property at a cost of $2,580 for piping;
• Approved Collier Heating and Cooling at $2,600 to replace the furnace at the township administration building that houses the fiscal officer and zoning offices. The offices are inside the historic Butts Family Museum;
• Discussed the need to get a part-time worker to help the road department during the spring and summer;
• Accepted the resignation of Chuck Lohry from the police department. He received a position with Humility of Mary Healthcare;
• Approved sending Chris Shaffer Jr. to emergency medical training at $1,325 with Lane Elite Training Center.
— Bob Coupland
WHAT: Township trustee special meeting Monday
PRESENT: Sam Plott, Dan Tietz and Bob Reader
• Approved an agreement with gov.com to auction on the Internet township equipment and other items not needed at no cost to the township. Plott said the buyer of the equipment will be required to cover the cost of the commission for the sale. Officials said they have been told it will be an easier way to sell items;
• Gave first reading to having a section of Shanks Down Road to be declared under a non-maintenance clause so the township will not be required to cut weeds, dig ditches or other work on the section. The road is in the southern part of the township and has been temporarily closed for 24 years. The road is bordered by Trumbull and Portage counties as well as Southington, Windham, Nelson and Braceville townships. Plott said there are no homes on the road, but people do own property there. No one attended a public hearing on the matter. The next public hearing is set for 5:30 p.m. March 14;
• Discussed the need to purchase a pickup truck for the fire department with a decision to be made at the March 14 meeting;
• Set a meeting 5:30 p.m. Monday at the Trumbull County Engineer’s Office to discuss road projects.
— Bob Coupland
Commissioners to meet today on hiring practices
WARREN — The Trumbull County Commissioners will meet 11;15 a.m. today at the county administration building, 160 High St., with Richard Jackson, director of human resources, to discuss hiring practices in Trumbull County.