Inmate OD’d from drugs smuggled into jail

WARREN — A Trumbull County inmate who was on life support after he was found unresponsive in his cell did suffer an opioid overdose — from drugs that were smuggled into the jail by another inmate — according to the jail administrator.

Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office Major Dan Mason said the investigation revealed Timothy Kirkland, 19, took the drugs voluntarily after an exchange with another inmate. Kirkland was staying in a pod cell with several other men when corrections officers found him unresponsive around 6 a.m. April 25.

The Trumbull-Ashtabula Group Drug Enforcement Task Force is continuing the investigation to determine exactly how the drugs got into the jail and if anyone will face additional charges, Mason said.

The jail is expected to receive a new $118,750 full body scanner before the end of June. Once the scanner is in place, anyone trying to smuggle drugs into the jail by hiding it in their bodies shouldn’t be able to sneak it in, Mason said.

Kirkland was in critical care at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital for more than a week, and couldn’t breathe on his own until May 2, his mother, Jennifer Stanley, said.

Kirkland was awaiting sentencing in Trumbull County Common Pleas Court after he pleaded guilty in March to two counts of burglary, one count of tampering with evidence, one count of safe cracking, two counts of receiving stolen property and one count of carrying a concealed weapon. He is scheduled to be sentenced on the charges June 19 in Judge Peter J. Kontos’ court.

Kirkland’s mother said her son’s doctor told her he got an infection in his lungs, because he lost consciousnesses and inhaled his stomach contents into his lungs, causing pneumonia.

Kirkland has been in the jail since June 27 in connection to two break-ins in March 2016 at homes on Springwood Trail and Glen Oaks Drive, according to prosecutors.

Kirkland and Connor Dotson, 19, of Howland, stole about $140,000 in cash and jewelry from a safe March 23, 2016, at the Springwood Trail home. The two men poured liquid bleach around the home to cover their tracks. Later, some of the stolen Rolex watches were found in a fire pit in Dotson’s backyard, according to prosecutors.

The second case against Kirkland involved a March 26, 2016, break-in at Dotson’s home on Glen Oaks Drive. Coins and jewelry were taken during that robbery, prosecutors said.

Dotson pleaded guilty to the charges filed in connection to the break-in at the Springwood Trail home and he is scheduled to be sentenced July 27.

Stanley said Kirkland is extremely remorseful for committing the burglaries that got him locked up in the first place.

“I told him if he never touches another drug, I can deal with what we went through,” Stanley said.