On the record
WHAT: Lakeview Board of Education meeting Monday
PRESENT: Mary Williams, Donna Zuga, Larry Sherer, Jennifer Nicholas and Troy Adair
• Passed a resolution prohibiting the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) on school property, mainly at school-sponsored sporting events, scrimmages, practices and extracurricular activities. Williams said the district is in compliance with the guidelines established by the Ohio High School Athletic Association’s recommended policy on drones;
• Approved purchase of an $80,755 Thomas Sat-T-Liner school bus;
• Approved the Lakeview boys basketball team’s participation and transportaion to a scrimmage in Greenville, Pa., on Saturday;
• Hired Neil Totten as a three-hour bus driver;
• Approved the Future Educator’s Association as an official student activity program and established an account for the group;
• Received a ”virtual tour” of the planned K-8 school building on property near Lakeview Middle School.
WHAT: Village Council meeting Monday
PRESENT: Richard Zamecnik, John Baryak, Mark Stimpert and Phillip Beer
ABSENT: Tarry Alberini and Mayor Lyle Waddell
• Approved a one-year agreement for fire protection and services from the Newton Falls Joint Fire District board at $68,744. Village Manager Jack Haney said the village and Newton Township each pay a cost for the services and have representatives who serve on the board. Zamecnik abstained from voting since he is the village’s representative on the board;
• Approved proceeding with applications for grant funding from Ohio Public Works Commission Eastgate District 6 for the fifth phase of the waterline project on South Canal Street. Haney said the project is scheduled for 2017.
— Bob Coupland
WHAT: Board of Education meeting Tuesday
PRESENT: Cheryl Basista, Josh Garris, Bruce Bacak, Tim Gleason and Aaron Wallace
• Received a $12,000 donation from the Mineral Ridge Band Boosters for the purchase of band uniforms. The donation was in addition to an $8,000 donation previously given by the club;
• Hired Ron Toth as head boys varsity track coach, Steve Wyllie as head girls varsity track coach and Andrew Barker as head boys varsity basketball coach.
— Bob Coupland