Bazetta to proceed with levy in May primary

BAZETTA — After voters soundly defeated a 1.5-mill additional levy request earlier this month, township trustees on Monday took the first step toward trying for an ever larger levy in May.

Instead of a 1.5-mill levy, trustees are asking the county auditor’s office to certify a 1.9-mill, five-year general fund additional levy that would generate around $265,000 annually.

Fiscal Officer Rita Drew said once the auditor’s office certifies the millage, trustees will give the needed final reading, likely at a meeting in December, to place the levy request on the May ballot. She said the money is needed for day-to-day operations in the township for the general fund.

The owner of a $100,000 home would pay $66.50 per year with the new levy, Drew said.

On Nov. 8, the 1.5-mill levy for operating expenses was defeated by voters 59 percent to 41 percent. Had it passed, it would have raised $215,373 a year.

In other business, fire Chief  Dennis Lewis and other staff members were bringing a new fire truck from Columbus this week to be placed at the recently opened fire station.

Drew said a $650,000 federal grant is covering 95 percent of the vehicle’s costs and the township paying about $30,000, the remaining 5 percent.

Also, trustees:

• Approved a three-year agreement with Geauga-Trumbull Solid Waste Management District for reycling drop off containers by the township hall. The township maintains the bins;

• Reported there are seven vehicles confiscated by police in the impound lot which will be sold with proceeds to benefit the police department.

bcoupland@tribtoday.com

COMMENTS