Killer, rapist denied parole

WARREN – Trumbull County Prosecutor’s Office learned recently that Ohio’s Parole Authority has denied prison release for a Hubbard area murderer and a one-time rapist. Both men must serve another five years before they’re given another chance for parole.

Alfonsia ”Mickey” Perry, who beat his girlfriend 71 times with a bed slat and an ax handle, will remain in Chillicothe Correctional Institution until at least July of 2018.

Trumbull Prosecutor Dennis Watkins said Perry had a history of beating ”his other ladies.”

”His profile could make him a poster child for domestic violence,” Watkins said in his recent letter to Ohio’s Parole Board opposing any parole.

In the letter, Watkins explained how the 8-year-old son of murder victim Jeanette Purdue watched the murder Nov. 16, 1993.

Christopher Purdue even refuted Perry’s testimony at trial that he didn’t intend to kill Purdue. The boy testified his mother and Perry had been arguing earlier that evening and that Jeanette Purdue left their home at 6559 Rosser Ave., Hubbard Township, without Perry’s knowledge.

The boy said Perry ordered him to find his mother, and hit him in the neck with a bed slat when he failed to do so.

When former Assistant Trumbull County Prosecutor Carol Sopkovich asked why Perry wanted to find Jeanette Purdue, Christopher replied: ”He wanted to kill her.”

Christopher told the court in the November 1994 trial that he and his sister, Shanelle, 7, went with Perry to find their mother. Purdue said when they brought their mother home, Perry pushed her down in the driveway and they resumed arguing while the two children went to bed.

Christopher said he awoke to hear his mother being beaten by Perry in another bedroom.

Perry, who celebrated his 56th birthday Tuesday, has served more than 18 years of a sentence of 20 years to life.

Watkins reminded board members in his letter that Perry has accumulated nine different rules of conduct violations while in prison, including the most recent in 2011.

”It’s our position that this raging bull should be kept in your pen and help keep domestic violence statistics down,” Watkins wrote.

The board also determined that convicted rapist Karl Vogt will remain in Belmont Correctional Institution until at least August of 2018.

Vogt, 57, was sentenced in May of 1996 by Trumbull County Common Pleas Judge W. Wyatt McKay to six to 25 after the former Canton man pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated rape on a young female.

Vogt lived in Trumbull County when police say the rapes occurred inside his home April 2, 1992.

The victim was older than 13 at the time, according to a former prosecutor.