Man dies in Vienna blaze

VIENNA – Richard Baglier, 65, died of smoke inhalation after his home caught fire at 15 Lakewood in the Four Seasons Mobile Home Park late Saturday.

Fire departments from Vienna, Brookfield, Fowler and the Youngstown Air Reserve Station responded to the blaze that was reported by a neighbor about 11:30 p.m. Baglier had run Uptown Jewelry in Warren and a similar establishment in Hubbard.

Assistant Chief Mike Hagood and Capt. Dennis Greenwood arrived on the scene with a police officer, but the heat and flames made a rescue impossible. According to Vienna fire Chief Richard Brannon, the two firefighters were coming home from their other jobs and responded since they were in the vicinity.

Brannon said that in his 17 years as a firefighter, he has only seen three or four mobile home fires.

“The problem is they go up so fast,” he said.

Responding crews were able to extinguish the fire, but Brannon said the structure was a total loss, estimated at $14,000. After meeting with the state fire marshal Monday morning to review the scene, Brannon said the cause of the fire was most likely caused by careless smoking. No foul play is suspected.

Baglier’s body was found inside the home. Trumbull County Coroner Dr. Humphrey Germaniuk said the cause of death was smoke inhalation but that he is awaiting reports from the State Fire Marshal to complete his own report.

Brannon noted that the mobile home had no working smoke detectors. Detectors are available for free at the Vienna fire station for residents.