Hubbard man gets 10 years
WARREN – A Hubbard man was sentenced Monday to 10 years behind bars after pleading guilty to a sexual attack on a 14-year-old girl last year.
Rodney E. First, 46, of Franklin Avenue, apologized to Judge Peter Kontos, who labeled First a Tier III sex offender, requiring him to register his whereabouts with authorities every 90 days for the rest of his life after he gets out of prison.
First has been held in lieu of $100,000 bond since his arrest shortly after the rape of the female family member last October. An indictment says the Oct. 8 rape occurred under force or threat of force.
Assistant county prosecutor Diane Barber said four counts of gross sexual imposition were dismissed in exchange for the plea.
Kontos pointed out to First how those types of crimes affect kids for the rest of their lives.
The young victim told the judge she has become very confused about things in her life like trusting other people. ”I thought of myself as worthless because of what happened,” she said.
The girl’s mother also read an impact statement:
”I am not looking for revenge. I just want to focus on moving on from this with my children. But I am looking for justice for my children, so that they can be assured that most people don’t condone evil, or blame the victims of it, or make excuses for it,” she said.
She said the fallout from the attacks has left her family in financial ruin.