Found skull is ID’d

YOUNGSTOWN – The Mahoning County Coroner’s Office identified a skeleton found in a heavily wooded area of the East Side as belonging to a man missing since November.

A news release states that the remains that have been found since Feb. 16 on Vaughn Street belong to David Allen Jackson, who had been missing since Nov. 30.

The identification was made after dental records were compared, Forensic Pathologist Dr. Joseph Ohr said.

Some flesh was still on the skull, which was found first, and the upper part of the jaw.

The dogs belonging to the man who lives next to the wooded area, James Dutting, have been bringing bones back to his yard repeatedly. Other bones have been found, and Tuesday evening the lower portion of the skull’s jaw was found.

Investigators, police and cadaver dogs had searched the area with less success. Investigators will search again because they want to find the place where Jackson’s body lay.

Although Jackson’s identity was confirmed, a cause of death has not yet been determined. Ohr said finding the grave is important to help determine how Jackson died and also to find more of him that can be returned to his family.

”My ultimate goal is to give as much of that person back to his family for burial,” Ohr said earlier in the day after the Mahoning County commissioners meeting.

Last week investigators were able to determine that the bones belonged to a man of mixed ancestry between 25 and 50, most likely between 25 and 35. Police right away suspected the bones belonged to Jackson, who was from around the Sharon Line area where his body was found.

In December, a shootout at a Landsdowne Boulevard store was linked to Jackson’s disappearance, police said.

Reuben Williams, 32, was charged with a Nov. 30 robbery in which a woman lost her SUV and cash. Police think Jackson was with Williams when that robbery occurred, and he disappeared shortly after.

Williams also was suspected of taking part in the shootout, in which two men walked into the store and pulled guns on two other men, and all four fired at each other. No one was reported injured.

Although Williams was arrested, a check of court records in both municipal and common pleas court shows he has yet to be charged formally for the Nov. 30 robbery.