Police probe bomb threat

WARREN – Warren police may have some leads in the bomb threat that was posted to a school’s internal messaging system.

“The detectives are talking to juveniles as we speak,” Lt. Jeff Cole said on Thursday. “We are conducting an investigation, talking to a couple of students … and hopefully we get somewhere from there.”

McGuffey K-8 Principal Christopher Neifer said it was business as usual Thursday, the day after an administrator saw the post from a person stating that they were going to blow up the school because they were unhappy with how other students were treating them.

“It’s been a normal school day here, but with some vigilance,” he said.

Six police officers, including a sheriff’s deputy from Geagua County, and bomb-sniffing dogs were on hand prior to students’ arrival Thursday to check the perimeter and search students for potential threats, Neifer said. A resource officer remained present throughout the day, and officers also were on hand when school let out that afternoon.

Superintendent Michael Notar reported there were no issues during the day, and nothing was discovered during the search, including an investigation Wednesday night.

“Everything went very, very well. We had about 40 to 45 percent in attendance today, which is good. I was happy with that just to see the kids come to school,” he said. “The police have been great to work with. Our officers were very organized with the whole thing.”

Notar said four resource officers will rotate between the buildings today, and he is confident detectives will locate the source of the threat in a short amount of time.

Area schools have responded quickly to threats in light of last month’s shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, where 20 children and six adults were killed.

A LaBrae High School student was charged Sunday with inducing panic following an online threat.

Youngstown City Schools were on alert last week after an online threat was brought to the attention of local authorities. A bomb threat also was called in to Campbell City Schools late last month.