Fire destroys mobile home
BAZETTA – A fire forced a family of four out of their mobile home, 29 Larry Lane, Monday night.
Homeowner Jennifer Welshans said the fire began with the dryer in the rear of her home and spread from there. A hotel front-desk receptionist, Welshans has lived in the home for 12 years with her husband, Charles, who is on workers’ compensation after injuring his shoulder. The couple have two children, ages 9 and 12.
“I mean, I couldn’t believe it and then the fire extinguisher didn’t work,” said Welshans, “and just getting (my children) out of the house and safe.”
Seven departments responded to the fire, which began about 6:45 p.m., including Bazetta, Howland, Cortland, Mecca, Johnston, Fowler and the Youngstown Air Reserve Station.
Next-door neighbor Kathy Phillips said she could see the fire coming from the back of the home near the kitchen before police asked her and other close neighbors to evacuate.
“It’s a total loss. But the fire was only contained to the back room and a little,” said Bazetta fire Chief Dennis Lewis, “but there was heat damage that caused the whole structure, so it’ll be a total loss.”
The blaze was put out by 7:30 p.m. and Lewis said the estimated damage is $25,000. He said while it seems as if the fire was accidental, it is still under investigation.
“It’s under investigation,” Lewis said, “but the state fire marshal is coming out tomorrow morning because it is not a suspicious fire.”
Firefighters could be seen throwing burnt furniture and other items out of the back entrance to the home after the other departments left. The family was planning to stay with relatives and friends overnight.