Nominate vet for Ohio HOF
VETERANS HALL OF FAME: The Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame is accepting nominations to recognize those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and continue to contribute to communities, state and nation through exceptional acts of volunteerism, advocacy, professional distinction, public service or philanthropy. Each year, the Hall of Fame inducts up to 20 veterans based on recommendations from an executive committee of veterans from throughout the state and approval from the governor of Ohio. To be considered, the veteran must be a past or current Ohio resident; have received an honorable discharge; and be of good moral character. Nomination deadline is June 1. Guidelines, a sample nomination and more information are available at dvs.ohio.gov/main/veterans-hall-of-fame.
MAGIC MATH: The OH WOW! The Roger & Gloria Jones Children’s Center for Science & Technology in downtown Youngstown will hold Make Magic Math noon to 2 p.m. Saturday for ages 8 and older. There will be a program and hands-on activities.
PUPS AND PAGES: The Howland Library Branch will hold Pups and Pages 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday where children gain confidence and improve their reading skills as they read to an uncritical and tail-wagging audience. Children in grades K-6 may sign up for 15-minute sessions to read aloud to a registered therapy dog at the library. Dogs are provided by Pawz for People, a Community Partner of Pet Partners. Registration is required.
BLOCKWATCH TO MEET: Girard fourth ward blockwatch will meet 5 p.m. Wednesday at the Girard Multigenerational Center. A St. Patrick’s Day potluck luncheon will be held noon Wednesday. Reservations needed by calling 330-545-6596.
ANNUAL BANQUET: The Niles Historical Society will hold its annual spring banquet and fundraiser 6 p.m. April 25 at Ciminero’s Banquet Center. Tickets are $30 and can be purchased at 330-652-8329. Speaker is Sean Posey, historian and author of the books “Lost Youngstown” and “Historic Theaters of Youngstown of the Mahoning Valley.” The monthly open house of the Ward Thomas House is 2 to 5 p.m. the first Sunday of each month. Officers are Ann Marie Beagle, president; Dave Martin, vice president; Linda Ralston, treasurer; and Colleen Tominey, secretary.
EASTER BASKETS: The Emmanuel Community Care Center will be distributing Easter baskets to children ages 2 to 11 whose families are registered at the center. Those wishing to receive a basket need to call 330-545-4301 by April 5. Easter baskets will be picked up at the center 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 16. Any individual or organization wishing to donate can call the center. Items need to be brought to the center by April 8.
• To reach the 24-hour information referral and crisis intervention service in Trumbull County, call Trumbull 211 at 330-393-1565 or 211. Call Trumbull 211 or Help Hotline at 330-747-2696 or 800-427-3606 for more information on service agencies and support groups.
• Someplace Safe Inc., domestic violence agency, offers support groups for women, children and individual support services. 330-393-3005.
• Sunday Night Our Gratitude Speaks Narcotics Anonymous — 7 p.m. Serenity Place, 29 E. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• Sunday breakfast — 8:30 to 9 a.m., Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, Warren, served by Tod United Methodist Church. The mission serves meals daily at noon and 4 p.m.
• Write to Recover — 10 a.m., Meridian Place, 1184 N. Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Master Discipleship Group — 6 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, Warren.
• Gamblers Anonymous 12-Step fellowship — 7:30 p.m. Christ Church Presbyterian Church, 3425 Hopkins Road, Cornersburg. 330-505-5060.
• Sunday Solutions — 2 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Keeping it Simple — 7 p.m., Sahara Club, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Regardless Of — 7 p.m., Christ Episcopal Church, 2627 Atlantic Ave., Warren.
• Nar-Anon — 7 p.m., Sahara Club, 2345 Youngstown Road SE, Warren, 12-step program for relatives and friends who have been adversely affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. Bill, 330 856-3822.
• Peer to Peer Domestic Abuse Support Group 6 p.m., Howland United Methodist Church, 730 Howland Wilson Road NE, Warren. Church office, 330-856-3463.