ACTS OF KINDNESS: Howland Local Schools students in fifth to 12th grade will hear the story of Rachel Joy Scott, the first victim of the Columbine High School shootings in 1999, and be challenged to start a chain reaction of kindness in a talk on Thursday. After she was killed, Rachel’s friends and acquaintances began telling her family stories about the positive impact she had on their lives.
One hundred students in seventh to 12th grade will then undergo training to become a liaison to ensure the challenge to make the local schools and community a safer place. Throughout the year, Howland Schools will incorporate lessons of kindness into daily happenings at school.
At 7 p.m. Thursday, families and community members are invited to see the Rachel’s Challenge presentation at Howland High School.
Due to the nature of the discussions, Rachel’s Challenge does not recommend families bring children who are younger than 12.
HOMES FOR KIDS: Homes for Kids Inc. Child and Family Solutions, a nonprofit since 1990, is in need of foster parents to provide a temporary home, safety and guidance to local children. Pre-service classes are available.
Foster parents receive up to $1,200 per month reimbursement and the skills necessary to impact a child’s life. To learn more, contact Karla Matig at 330-544-8005, Ext. 1414, email her at Karla@hfk.org or visit www.hkf.org.
GROUP TO PATROL: The Northwest Neighborhood Association will take part in a patrol, meeting at noon Thursday at the Grace United Methodist Church on Drexel Avenue.
SOCIETY TO HOLD FUNDRAISER: The Niles Historical Society has a limited amount of calendars featuring Old Schools in Niles for sale for $10 plus an additional fee for shipping. They can be ordered by calling 330-652-8329. There will be no monthly meeting of the membership or monthly open house of the Ward-Thomas House in January The regular schedule will resume in February.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Cortland Community Band — 7 p.m., Cortland Middle School, Wakefield Drive. Visit CortlandCommunityBand.org or call Pat at 330-652-2424. No auditions needed.
• Higher Education Assistance — Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University — 6:30 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. 330-369-3010.
• TOPS 1429 — weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Wednesday Morning Recovery, Narcotics Anonymous — closed discussion 10 a.m., USW, 1375 Union Hall, Room 7, 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Willingness Group — 10:30 a.m., Salvation Army, 1501 Glenwood Ave., Youngstown.
• Wednesday Here and Now — 6 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Champion Group — 6:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 3924 High St. NW, Champion.
• It Works: How and Why — 7:30 p.m., Shrine of Our Lady, 517 S. Belle Vista Ave., Youngstown.
• Families Anonymous Warren — newcomers 6:45 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 160 Clifton Drive, Warren. 330-307-8182.
• Niles Al-Anon — 8 p.m., New Hope United Methodist Church, 21 Fairview Ave., Niles.
• MVI HospiceCare Bereavement Support Group — 1 to 3 p.m., Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administrative Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Youngstown. Lisa Altman, social worker, 330-759-9487.
• Prostate Cancer group — 7 to 8:30 p.m., Radiation Oncology Center at Trumbull Regional Medical Center, 1353 E. Market St.(rear of building). Facilitator is Jack Norton, RN, OCN.
• Ohio Star Quilters — 9 a.m., the first, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month, Howland SCOPE Senior Center in Howland. Sandy O’Malley, 330-898-3151.
• Nar-Anon, 7 p.m., First Presbyterian Church of Girard, 890 Churchill Hubbard Road, Girard. Cindy, 330-207-0845.
• Champion Knights of Columbus Council 7491 — 7 p.m., St. William Rectory Office, 5431 Mahoning Ave., Champion.
• God Walked In — 5 p.m., 5 Memorial Drive, Greenville, Pa.
• Warren Rotary Club — noon, Enzo’s Restaurant, Elm Road NE.
• TOPS 1350, Cortland — 9:20 a.m. weigh-in, 10 a.m. meeting, Bazetta Township Hall, 3372 state Route 5, Bazetta.
• TOPS 1859 — 5:30 p.m. for weigh-in and meeting 6 p.m., Champion Christian Church, 151 Center St., Champion.