Food donations being sought
FOOD DRIVE: The Jewish Community Relations Council is sponsoring the 28th annual High Holiday food drive for Second Harvest Food Bank of the Mahoning Valley. New this year is a competition among area businesses. Donations will be accepted through Oct. 1 at the Jewish Community Center, Akiva Academy, Temple El Emeth, Congregation Ohev Tzedek, Congregation Rodef Shalom and Children of Israel Congregation, For information, call 330-746-3250, Ext. 123. Monetary donations can be made payable to Second Harvest Food Bank and sent to JCRC, 505 Gypsy Lane, Youngstown, 44505.
LIGHTNING BOTS OPEN HOUSE: The Champion High School Lightning Bots FIRST Robotics Team will hold an open house 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the high school, 5976 Mahoning Ave. NW.
SOCIETY TO HOLD PROGRAM: The William Holmes McGuffey Historical Society will hold “Memories of A Lifetime” 10 a.m. Saturday at Kravitz Deli, 3135 Belmont Ave., Liberty. John Marino will speak on “Who Killed the Packard.” He will discuss the many factors that ended the famous luxury automobile first made in Warren.
SLIME DAY AT McKINLEY: The McKinley Memorial Library in Niles will hold a All Age Slime Saturday at 2 p.m. Saturday. at the McKinley Birthplace Home. There will be slime activities. Register at 330-652-1704, Ext. 4.
BLOCK WATCH TO MEET: The Girard 4th Ward blockwatch will meet 5 p.m. Wednesday at the Girard Multigenerational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave.
BUS TRIP: Jesus the Key Ministries is offering a bus trip Sept. 18 and 19 to include the Kentucky Knob House Mansion, Mother’s Day Shrine in Grafton, National Radio Telescope Observatory, and Cass Railroad. For information and registration, call 330 427-6578.
• A New Day Nar-Anon Family Group — 7 p.m., Congregational Church, 612 W. Broad St., Newton Falls. Teri, 330-646-4480, or Patty, 330-307-3002.
• Better Your Future Through Hope — Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. 330-369-3010.
• First Things First — 6 p.m., literature discussion, Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Cortland Area Kiwanis — 5 p.m., Real Deal Coffee Cafe.
• Someplace Safe — 1540 Tod Ave., Warren, 330-393-3005.
• Howland Rotary Club — noon, Shepherd of the Valley, North River Road.
• Youngstown Executive Toastmasters — 6:45 p.m., Shepherd of the Valley, 301 Western Reserve Road, Boardman. www.speakingclub.org.
• Youngstown Toastmasters Executive 408 — 6:40 p.m., Adamas Square, 8131 Market St., Boardman.
• Celebrate Recovery — 6:30 p.m., Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, eight-step Christian program. 330-599-2402.
• Monday Night Serenity Hall AA — 7:30 p.m., Badger Hall, First Presbyterian Church, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren.
• TOPS Ohio 1353, Leavittsburg — weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Leavittsburg Church of God, 610 S. Leavitt Road, Leavittsburg. 330-898-0357.
• TOPS Ohio 698, Girard — weigh-in 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., meeting 6:30 p.m., First Christian Church, 140 E. Broadway Ave., Girard. 330-545-4770 or 330-534-2618.
• Nothing to Fear — 10 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, 4 Summit St., Niles.
• Monday Night Miracles — 7 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• Hubbard HOW — 7:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 1815 Chestnut Ridge Road, Hubbard.
• Cortland Class of 1958 — noon, Lake Tavern. 330-637-8616.