Monastery hosts Egyptian festival
HOWLAND EVENT: St. Mary and St. John the Beloved for Nuns Monastery, 8640 Squires Lanes, Howland, will hold an Egyptian Festival 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and noon to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
The three-day event includes tours, displays of items made by the sisters who live there, crafts, icons and food. There will be vendors selling clothing and other items from Egypt.
FOOD GIVEAWAY: Deliverance Temple Church, 1849 West Ave., Warren, will hold a grocery item distribution in conjunction with Youngstown Community Food Center Gleaners Food Bank 1:30 p.m. today.
Those needing items are asked to bring state-issued photo identification and a utility bill.
MASTER GARDENERS PROGRAM: Master Gardeners of Trumbull County will offer free programs 6 p.m. on various Wednesdays through the spring and summer at the Trumbull Agriculture and Family Education Center, 520 W. Main St., Cortland. Programs will focus on gardening.
The next program is 6 p.m. today on ephemeral plants. The May 30 topic will be vegetable gardens and June 13, creative containers.
HEALTHY COALITION: Trumbull County Creating Healthy Communities will hold a coalition community meeting 6 p.m.today at the Warren-Trumbull County Public Library. The public is invited to provide input and questions to the coalition, which is committed to reducing chronic disease statewide.
TEEN MIDWEEK: TeenMidweek will be held 3:30 p.m. today at the Cortland Public Library for after-school activities for students in grades 7 to 12.
CAREER FAIR: Shepherd of the Valley, 1500 McKinley Ave., Niles, will hold a direct care career fair with interviews conducted for nurses and aides 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. today. Visit online at shepherdofthevalley.com
SPRING CLEANUP: Weathersfield Township is holding a spring cleanup through Friday, with residents asked to place items at curbside during regular trash collection night. Scrap tire pickup is set for 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. today through Friday at administration building. There is a limit of four tires per household.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Cortland Community Band — 7 p.m., Cortland Middle School, Wakefield Drive. Visit CortlandCommunityBand.org or call Pat at 330-652-2424. No auditions needed.
• Higher Education Assistance — Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University — 6:30 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. 330-369-3010.
• TOPS 1429 — weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Wednesday Morning Recovery, Narcotics Anonymous — closed discussion 10 a.m., USW, 1375 Union Hall, Room 7, 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Willingness Group — 10:30 a.m., Salvation Army, 1501 Glenwood Ave., Youngstown.
• Wednesday Here and Now — 6 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Champion Group — 6:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 3924 High St. NW, Champion.
• It Works: How and Why — 7:30 p.m., Shrine of Our Lady, 517 S. Belle Vista Ave., Youngstown.
• Families Anonymous Warren — newcomers 6:45 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 160 Clifton Drive, Warren. 330-307-8182.
• Niles Al-Anon — 8 p.m., New Hope United Methodist Church, 21 Fairview Ave., Niles.
• MVI HospiceCare Bereavement Support Group — 1 to 3 p.m. First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave NW, Warren. Lisa Altman, social worker, 330-759-9487.
• Brookfield Historical Society — 9 a.m., township hall. 330-448-6828.
• Ohio Star Quilters — 9 a.m., Howland SCOPE Senior Center in Howland. Sandy O’Malley, 330-898-3151.
• Austintown Never Alone Nar-Anon Group — 7 p.m. Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 5211 Mahoning Ave., Austintown, a 12-step program for relatives and friends affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. 330 207-0845.
• Champion Knights of Columbus Council 7491 — 7 p.m., St. William Rectory Office, 5431 Mahoning Ave., Champion.
• McDonald Community Chest — 7 p.m. McDonald Community Room, post office building, 500 Ohio Ave., McDonald.
• God Walked In — 5 p.m., 5 Memorial Drive, Greenville, Pa.
• Alzheimer’s Family Support Group — 10 a.m., Easter Seal Day Center, 155 S. Park Ave., Warren. 330-533-3300 or 800-441-3322.
• Warren Rotary Club — noon, Enzo’s Restaurant, Elm Road NE.
• United Steelworkers of America Republic Steel, LTV and WCI retirees Local 1375 — 2 p.m., 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• TOPS 1350, Cortland — weigh-in, 9:15 a.m., Bazetta Township Hall, 3372 state Route 5, Bazetta.
• TOPS 1859 — 5:30 p.m. for weigh-in and meeting 6 p.m., Champion Christian Church, 151 Center St., Champion.
• Niles Class of 1951 — 11:30 a.m., Scenna’s Family Restaurant.
• Niles Kiwanis — noon, Hometown Buffet, Eastwood Mall complex, Niles.