Summit Academy being honored
The Seeing Eye
SCHOOL TO RECEIVE RECOGNITION: Summit Academy Community School in Warren will receive the Ohio Department of Education’s Momentum Award 1 p.m. today. The award recognizes schools that exceed expectations in student growth for the year, according to the state board of education.
Schools must earn straight A’s on all value-added measures on the report card. The school must have at least two value-added subgroups of students, which includes gifted, lowest 20 percent in achievement and students with disabilities.
Summit Academy Schools is a network of K-12, tuition-free, nonprofit public schools that serves students who learn differently.
COOKIE CHALLENGE: The Great Cookie Challenge will be held 6 p.m. Wednesday at Brookfield Library Branch. Students in kindergarten to sixth grades will take part in cookie decorating activities. Registration is required at 330-448-8134.
HOWLAND SPEAKERS: Howland Lions Club will meet 7 p.m. Wednesday and Feb. 21 in the chapel room at Shepherd of the Valley in Howland, 4100 N. River Road.
On Wednesday, the guest speaker will be detective Sgt. Rob Whited of the Mahoning Valley Drug Task Force, who will talk on the dangers of heroin.
At the Feb. 21 meeting, guest speaker will be former IBC Continental Americas junior middleweight boxing champion Craig Snyder, who is enshrined in the Curbstone Coaches Hall of Fame.
Programs are free. For information, contact Bob at 330-792-7907 or olebert1@ aol.com.
PRESIDENT LINCOLN: The Trumbull County Republican Party will host its Lincoln Day Dinner 5:30 p.m. Feb. 22 at Leo’s Ristorante, 7042 E. Market, Howland. Guest speaker will be Jane Timken, chair of the Ohio Republican Party. “President Lincoln” will make a guest appearance.
Doors open at 5:30 p.m., with dinner at 6 p.m. Cost is $45 and must be prepaid by sending check payable to Trumbull County GOP to Cathy Lukasko, 1835 Albright McKay Road, Brookfield, 44403. No tickets sold at door. Call Marleah at 330-240-1826.
• TOPS Ohio 1694, Champion — weigh-in 5:15 p.m., meeting 6 p.m., St. John Lutheran Church, 5734 Mahoning Ave. NW, Champion. Call 330-502-8483.
• Kickin’ It In Kinsman, a Narcotics Anonymous meeting — 7 p.m., Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., Kinsman.
• Girard-Liberty Rotary — 6 p.m., Amen Corner, 21 W. Main St., Girard, 330-539-5837 or 330-545-5694.
• Girard-Liberty Kiwanis Club — 6:30 p.m., Golf Dome, 1300 N. State St., 330-545-1338.
• Stephen Foster Chorus — singing group for men, 7 p.m., Warren SCOPE Center, 375 N. Park Ave., Warren. 330-652-5739.
• Food Addicts Anonymous — 7 p.m., Grace Lutheran Church, 162 S. Raccoon Road, Austintown. Call 330-793-1599.
• Al-Anon — 9:30 a.m. First Presbyterian Church of Warren, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, 9 a.m. beginner’s meeting.
• Urban 4-H — 5:30 pm., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren.
• TOPS OHIO 1374 — weigh-in 8:45 a.m., First Church of God, 426 W. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• TOPS OHIO 1165 — weigh-in 8:30 a.m., meeting 9 a.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• TOPS 1060 — weigh-in 6 p.m., meet at 6:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Champion Rotary Club — noon, Wayside Inn.