Students to build bridges at YSU
The Seeing Eye
BRIDGE BUILDING: The 11th annual Mahoning Valley miniature bridge building competition for local high school students in grades 9-12 will be held Feb. 27 at Youngstown State University Kilcawley Center Chestnut Room. More than 35 teams from schools in Trumbull and Mahoning counties competed in 2017. During the morning of the event, students will construct their bridges on site within the specified time according to competition specifications. After lunch and glue drying time, the bridges will be judged to meet design criteria and then load tested until the structure fails. The winning bridge will be chosen based on meeting the design criteria and the most efficient load carrying capacity to structure weight ratio. Other awards will also be presented for various aspects of civil engineering. For information call 330-718-5424.
COLLECTING FOR EASTER: The Emmanuel Community Center, 2 N. State St., Girard, is collecting items for the annual Easter basket giveaway for children ages 2 to 11 to families registered at the center. Items for baskets need to be dropped off by March 16 to the center. Baskets will need to be picked up on March 2. For information, call 330-545-4301.
OPEN HOUSE: Shepherd of the Valley representatives will explain their new Liberty senior living community campus being built at an open house 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday at Dunkin Donuts, 58 Youngstown-Warren Road, Niles.
HANDS ON LEARNING: The OH WOW! The Roger and Gloria Jones Children’s Center for Science and Technology in Youngstown will hold a STEM storytime will be held 10 to 11 a.m. Saturday for ages 5 and under. Staff will assist children with exploring the inner workings of the body by making paper lungs and other activities. For information, call 330-744-5914.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, Warren, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing.
• Tuesday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m., Meridian Place, 1184 N. Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Attitude of Gratitude — 12:30 p.m., Beatitude House, 1370 Tod Ave., Warren.
• Women in Progress — 7 p.m., Serenity Place, 21 E. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• Tuesday Night Surrender — 7:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• Nicotine Anonymous — 5:30 p.m., St. Joseph Warren Hospital Warren Room, 627 Eastland Ave. SE, Warren.
• Celebrate Recovery — 6:30 p.m., Fowler Community Church, 4651 state Route 305, Fowler, 12-step faith-based program. 330-550-3393.
• Smalltown Recovery Al-Anon Family Group — 6:30 to 8 p.m., Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., Kinsman.
• TOPS Ohio 1694, Champion — weigh-in 5:15 p.m., meeting 6 p.m., St. John Lutheran Church, 5734 Mahoning Ave. NW, Champion. Call 330-502-8483.
• Kickin’ It In Kinsman, a Narcotics Anonymous meeting — 7 p.m., Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., Kinsman.
• Girard-Liberty Rotary — 6 p.m., Amen Corner, 21 W. Main St., Girard, 330-539-5837 or 330-545-5694.
• Girard-Liberty Kiwanis Club — 6:30 p.m., Golf Dome, 1300 N. State St., 330-545-1338.
• Stephen Foster Chorus — singing group for men, 7 p.m., Warren SCOPE Center, 375 N. Park Ave., Warren. 330-652-5739.
• Food Addicts Anonymous — 7 p.m., Grace Lutheran Church, 162 S. Raccoon Road, Austintown. Call 330-793-1599.
• Al-Anon — 9:30 a.m. First Presbyterian Church of Warren, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, 9 a.m. beginner’s meeting.
• Urban 4-H — 5:30 pm., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren.
• TOPS OHIO 1374 — weigh-in 8:45 a.m., First Church of God, 426 W. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• TOPS OHIO 1165 — weigh-in 8:30 a.m., meeting 9 a.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• TOPS 1060 — weigh-in 6 p.m., meet at 6:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Champion Rotary Club — noon, Wayside Inn.
• Codependency and Grief for those who have lost loved ones to alcohol or drug abuse, 7 p.m. Care Center of the Kelley-Robb-Cummins Funeral Home, 709 N. Main St., Hubbard. Call 330-534-1952.
• American Legion Riders — 6:15 p.m., 700 (motorcycle club), Howland American Legion Post 700, 8273 High St. NE, Howland.
• Alzheimer Assistance and Referral Network Support Group — 6 p.m., Girard Public Library, 105 E. Prospect St., Girard.
• Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention — 9:30 a.m., Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board offices, 4076 Youngstown Road SE, No. 201, Warren.
• VFW Post 2662 — 6:30 p.m. at Bazetta Town Hall.
• Minute-by-Minute Narcotics Anonymous — 7 p.m. closed discussion, First Presbyterian Church of Warren, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren.
•Parents of Murdered Children — 6 p.m. Girard Municipal Building. 330-219-2438.
Anyone with items for Seeing Eye should call 330-841-1738; submit it to the Virtual Newsroom at www.tribtoday.com; email email@example.com; or mail to or drop off information at the Tribune Chronicle.