Open house for foster care
OPEN HOUSE SET: Northeast Ohio Adoption Services, 5000 E. Market St., Suite 26, will host an open house 5 to 7 p.m. Feb. 15 to provide information about foster care and adoption.
The agency provides adoption and foster care services to teens and school-age children in the child welfare system by recruiting, preparing and supporting specialized families. NOAS staff will be available to discuss Ohio children available.
Light refreshments and activities will be available. Call 800-686-6627, Ext. 126, for information.
PLAYING IT FORWARD: Playing it Forward of Niles will hold its first fundraiser, Cupid’s Craft Show, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the First Presbyterian Church of Niles. The Valentine’s Day-themed craft show will feature more than 30 handmade craft tables, including homemade chocolates, dog treats, jewelry and soaps. There will also be raffle baskets.
Proceeds will benefit Playing it Forward of Niles, which purchases sports equipment and items that a child may need for upcoming seasons. Each item is purchased in the preferred color and / or size chosen by the child in need.
STEM FESTIVAL: Hubbard High School, 350 Hall Avenue SE, will celebrate all things science, technology, engineering and mathematics at the annual STEM festival 7:45 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. Friday. This year’s theme focuses on how people are connected.
Displays will decorate the high school gymnasium. Students will have the opportunity to explore each exhibit, as well as participate in a number of competitions.
TINKERING TIME: The OH!WOW Science and Technology Center in Youngstown will hold “Tinker Time” noon to 2 p.m. Saturday. Participants will have participants use Legos and K’nex to solve engineering challenges.
Pre-registration is required at 330-744-5914. The activity is for ages 8 and older.
“Make DNA” will be held noon to 2 p.m. Feb. 17, when people can extract DNA using different items found in the kitchen.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Cortland Community Band — 7 p.m., Cortland Middle School, Wakefield Drive. Visit CortlandCommunityBand.org or call Pat at 330-652-2424. No auditions needed.
• Higher Education Assistance — Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University — 6:30 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. 330-369-3010.
• TOPS 1429 — weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Wednesday Morning Recovery, Narcotics Anonymous — closed discussion 10 a.m., USW, 1375 Union Hall, Room 7, 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Willingness Group — 10:30 a.m., Salvation Army, 1501 Glenwood Ave., Youngstown.
• Wednesday Here and Now — 6 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Champion Group — 6:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 3924 High St. NW, Champion.
• It Works: How and Why — 7:30 p.m., Shrine of Our Lady, 517 S. Belle Vista Ave., Youngstown.
• Families Anonymous Warren — newcomers 6:45 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 160 Clifton Drive, Warren. 330-307-8182.
• Niles Al-Anon — 8 p.m., New Hope United Methodist Church, 21 Fairview Ave., Niles.
• MVI HospiceCare Bereavement Support Group — 1 to 3 p.m., Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administrative Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Youngstown. Lisa Altman, social worker, 330-759-9487.
• Ohio Star Quilters — 9 a.m., the first, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month, Howland SCOPE Senior Center in Howland. Sandy O’Malley, 330-898-3151.
• Austintown Never Alone Nar-Anon Group — 7 p.m. Wednesdays, upstairs at the Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 5211 Mahoning Ave., Austintown, a 12-step program for relatives and friends affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. 330 207-0845.
• Champion Knights of Columbus Council 7491 — 7 p.m., St. William Rectory Office, 5431 Mahoning Ave., Champion.
• God Walked In — 5 p.m., 5 Memorial Drive, Greenville, Pa.
• Warren Rotary Club — noon, Enzo’s Restaurant, Elm Road NE.
• TOPS 1350, Cortland — weigh-in, 9:15 a.m., Bazetta Township Hall, 3372 state Route 5, Bazetta.
• TOPS 1859 — 5:30 p.m. for weigh-in and meeting 6 p.m., Champion Christian Church, 151 Center St., Champion.
• Niles Kiwanis — noon, Hometown Buffet, Eastwood Mall complex, Niles.