Polka Pals set Saturday reunion
OPENING HISTORICAL SOCIETY SEASON: Kuzman’s Polka Pals Reunion will open the William Holmes McGuffey Historical Society 2018 program season 10 a.m. Saturday at Kravitz’s Deli Meeting Room, 3135 Belmont Ave., Liberty. There will be a polka party reunion, with music by the former Kuzman’s Polka Pals.
Refreshments will be served and a raffle held to benefit the society’s education mission. Reservations are suggested by calling Richard at 330-726-8277. Programs are held the third Saturday of each month.
TINKER TIME: The OH WOW! The Roger & Gloria Jones Children’s Center for Science and Technology Science Center in Youngstown will hold Tinker Time noon to 2 p.m. Saturday and Jan. 27 with Legos and K’nex to solve engineering challenges. Pre-register at 330-744-5914. STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) Storytime will be held 10 to 11 a.m. Jan. 27, with the program designed for young explorers.
UNITED WAY CAMPAIGN: United Way of Trumbull County’s “Giving the Basics” campaign provided nearly 600 individuals and families with basic essentials.
The social media campaign kicked off on #GivingTuesday and continued through Jan. 2. The campaign secured more than $5,000 in goods and funds to help provide seniors, veterans and low income families with personal and home care items, and included some perishable food items as well. United Way announced that it will continue this campaign annually.
Agencies helped by the campaign were Children’s Rehabilitation Center, Niles Community Services, Salvation Army, SCOPE senior services, Someplace Safe and the YWCA of Warren.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Cortland Community Band — 7 p.m., Cortland Middle School, Wakefield Drive. Visit CortlandCommunityBand.org or call Pat at 330-652-2424. No auditions needed.
• Higher Education Assistance — Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University — 6:30 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. 330-369-3010.
• TOPS 1429 — weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Wednesday Morning Recovery, Narcotics Anonymous — closed discussion 10 a.m., USW, 1375 Union Hall, Room 7, 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Willingness Group — 10:30 a.m., Salvation Army, 1501 Glenwood Ave., Youngstown.
• Wednesday Here and Now — 6 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Champion Group — 6:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 3924 High St. NW, Champion.
• It Works: How and Why — 7:30 p.m., Shrine of Our Lady, 517 S. Belle Vista Ave., Youngstown.
• Families Anonymous Warren — newcomers 6:45 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 160 Clifton Drive, Warren. 330-307-8182.
• Niles Al-Anon — 8 p.m., New Hope United Methodist Church, 21 Fairview Ave., Niles.
• MVI HospiceCare Bereavement Support Group — 1 to 3 p.m. First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren. Lisa Altman, social worker, 330-759-9487.
• Brookfield Historical Society — 9 a.m., township hall. 330-448-6828.
• Ohio Star Quilters — 9 a.m., Howland SCOPE Senior Center in Howland. Sandy O’Malley, 330-898-3151.
• Austintown Never Alone Nar-Anon Group — 7 p.m. Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 5211 Mahoning Ave., Austintown, a 12-step program for relatives and friends affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. 330 207-0845.
• Champion Knights of Columbus Council 7491 — 7 p.m., St. William Rectory Office, 5431 Mahoning Ave., Champion.
• McDonald Community Chest — 7 p.m., McDonald Community Room, post office building, 500 Ohio Ave., McDonald.