Birthday party set for McKinley
CELEBRATING PRESIDENT’S BIRTHDAY: The 175th birthday of President William McKinley will be marked from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday at the McKinley Birthplace Home, 40 S. Main St., Niles. The public will be able to visit with President McKinley, portrayed by Mike Wilson, take a tour of the birthplace home and have refreshments. The event is open to the public. For information, contact the library at 330-652-1704, Ext. 7212.
DIP AND PAINT: Liberty Assembly of God, 6779 Belmont Ave., will hold a Dip N Paint 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday. Participants age sixth grade and older will paint snowmen and enjoy dips. Proceeds from the event benefit the Liberty Deployed Mission team going to Ethiopia in April. Call 330-539-9291.
READ TO SOME BUNNY: The Cortland Library Branch, 578 Lakeview Drive, will hold a ”Read to Some Bunny” 5:30 to 7 p.m. today. Children in grades kindergarten to sixth can sign up to read aloud to registered and certified Bunnies in Baskets (therapy rabbits) for 15-minute sessions. Rabbits are provided by Frisky Ferrets, Fuzzies and Feather Friends Rescue and Sanctuary. Registration is required by calling 330-638-6335.
SCHOLARSHIP SENT: Parents of Niles McKinley High School senior band or choir students will be receiving a letter and application for a $5,000 scholarship established in the memory of 1947 graduate William D. Bauman, who grew up on the south side of Niles and was active in the school band and in the Warren Junior Military Band. He set aside a foundation to help two senior music students attend either a two-year or four-year college. The application outlines the requirements, which must include a grade point average and credit. Any senior not receiving an application should call the high school guidance office after Jan. 31 at 330-652-9968.
CELEBRATING NEW YEAR: Malanka, a celebration of New Year’s Eve will take place 5:30 to 11 p.m. Saturday at the SS. Peter and Paul Ukranian Orthodox Church, 1025 N. Bella Vista Ave., Youngstown. The family-friendly event is open to the public. Malanka is a celebration of the New Year based on the Julian calendar and takes place later in January in Ukranian, Serbian and Russian Orthodox churches. There will be dancing, food, 50-50 and balloon drop at 10 p.m. For information, call 330-538-3447 or 330-799-7911.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, Warren, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Tuesday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m., Meridian Place, 1184 N. Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Attitude of Gratitude — 12:30 p.m., Beatitude House, 1370 Tod Ave., Warren.
• Women in Progress — 7 p.m., Serenity Place, 21 E. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• Tuesday Night Surrender — 7:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• Nicotine Anonymous — 5:30 p.m., St. Joseph Warren Hospital Warren Room, 627 Eastland Ave. SE, Warren.
• Celebrate Recovery — 6:30 p.m., Fowler Community Church, 4651 state Route 305, Fowler, 12-step faith-based program. 330-550-3393.
• Smalltown Recovery Al-Anon Family Group — 6:30 to 8 p.m., Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., Kinsman.
• TOPS Ohio 1694, Champion — weigh-in 5:15 p.m., meeting 6 p.m., St. John Lutheran Church, 5734 Mahoning Ave. NW, Champion. Call 330-502-8483.
• Kickin’ It In Kinsman, a Narcotics Anonymous meeting — 7 p.m., Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., Kinsman.
• Girard-Liberty Rotary — 6 p.m., Amen Corner, 21 W. Main St., Girard, 330-539-5837 or 330-545-5694.
• Girard-Liberty Kiwanis Club — 6:30 p.m., Golf Dome, 1300 N. State St., 330-545-1338.
• Stephen Foster Chorus — singing group for men, 7 p.m., Warren SCOPE Center, 375 N. Park Ave., Warren. 330-652-5739.
• Food Addicts Anonymous — 7 p.m., Grace Lutheran Church, 162 S. Raccoon Road, Austintown. Call 330-793-1599.
• Al-Anon — 9:30 a.m. First Presbyterian Church of Warren, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, 9 a.m. beginner’s meeting.
• Urban 4-H — 5:30 pm., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren.
• TOPS OHIO 1374 — weigh-in 8:45 a.m., First Church of God, 426 W. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• TOPS OHIO 1165 — weigh-in 8:30 a.m., meeting 9 a.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• TOPS 1060 — weigh-in 6 p.m., meet at 6:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.