Niles Historical Society sets open house
HOLIDAY EVENT: The Niles Historical Society will host its monthly open house 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Ward-Thomas Museum, 503 Brown St., with the last tour beginning at 4 p.m. The theme is ”Christmas in New York City,” with collectible New York buildings on display throughout the house.
The society also will participate in the city’s McKinley Christmas noon to 4 p.m. Dec. 9. There will be tours of the main floor of the museum. A Christmas tree decorated with White House ornaments will be in the parlor and Christmas Longaberger baskets in the kitchen. There will be live music and refreshments in the Westenfield Room along with treats for the children.
Calendars featuring past recreation in Niles and McKinley Memorial centennial ornaments will be sold.
The monthly membership meeting will be 10 a.m. Saturday.
SENIORS TO ENTERTAIN: Woodland Park United Methodist Church of McDonald will hold a dinner program with entertainment with the Trumbull Senior Production Company of Warren 6 p.m. Dec. 7. Cost is $15. For reservations, call Sara at 330-530-9439.
HOLIDAY CARDS: A ”Make Your Own” holiday card event will be 10 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the McKinley Birthplace Home. 40 S. Main St. Niles. Each patron can make two cards of their choice. All materials will be supplied. Call 330-652-1704, Ext. 7221, to register.
UGLY SWEATER CONTEST: The McKinley Memorial Library’s First G-Rated and Family-Oriented Ugly Sweater Contest is being held through Dec. 16. People who come to the library between Dec. 1 and 16 and wear an appropriate ugly holiday sweater will have their picture taken. Pictures of sweaters will be assigned numbers and posted. The library staff will vote on the best ugly sweater Dec. 18.
HOLIDAY SHOP: Girl Scouts will hold a holiday shop 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Niles Presbyterian Church, corner of Robbins Avenue and Summit Avenue, Niles. All items sold are handmade by local Scout troops. There will be a coloring contest for children.
TOOLBOX EVENT: Ohio History Connection’s Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor, 151 W. Wood St., Youngstown, will host the Museum Education and Outreach Workshop as one of its ToolBox Workshop Series 1 to 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
Dr. Marcelle Wilson, site manager, will talk about how museums and other nonprofit organizations can reach out to the community and promote their institutions.
The workshop is a one-year outreach program led by the Local History Corps District 4 representative through Ohio History Service Corps’ AmeriCorps program. For information or to reserve seats, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 330-941-3459.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Business Connections of Trumbull County — 7:30 a.m. Panera Restaurant on Elm Road, Warren. 330-719-0727.
• Roundtable Carvers woodcarving club — 9 to 11:30 a.m., Senior Center, Fifth Avenue, Youngstown, 330-318-3609.
• Engage Prayer and Intercession Group — 6:30 p.m., 3217 Surrey Ave., Warren. 330-550-3393.
• Thursday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m, Meridian Place, 1184 Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Where Are You at Today — noon, United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• Thursday Clean People — 7 p.m., Niles Senior Center, 14 E. State St., Niles.
• Kids Club Children Ministries — 6 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Niles Rotary Club — noon, Ciminero’s Banquet Centre, 123 N. Main St., Niles.
• Warren Kiwanis — noon, Buena Vista Cafe, Warren.
• People Empowering Progress Productivity — promote aftercare following incarceration, 6 to 7:30 p.m., 2051 Niles Road SE, Warren.
• NAMI Connection — 1:30 p.m. Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown. 330-531-7490, email@example.com or www.namimv.org
• Warren Thursday Al-Anon Group — 7:30 p.m., SS. Cyril and Methodius Church, 185 Laird Ave. NE, Warren.
• TOPS Ohio 188 — weigh-in at 5:15 p.m., meeting at 5:45 p.m., Covenant Presbyterian Church, 2050 Oakdale NW, Warren.
• TOPS 1497 — weigh-in 9:30 a.m., meeting at 10 a.m., Smith Corners United Methodist Church, 3000 S. Canfield Niles Road, Austintown. 330-759-4737.
• Divorce / Death Aren’t Really the End (DARE) singles group — 7:30 p.m. Disciples Christian Church, 565 Boardman Canfield Road. 330-729-0127.