Take a tour of fire department
FIRE DEPARTMENT OPEN HOUSE: The Warren Township Fire Department will hold an open house 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the fire station, 750 North River Road. The event will celebrate 76 years of service. The event will include blood pressure screening, fire safety literature, smoke trailer, fire trucks and Trumbull Memorial and St. Joseph Warren hospitals workers.
GIRARD FIRE OPEN HOUSE: The Girard Fire Department, 105 E. Liberty St., will hold an open house 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday for National Fire Prevention Week. There will be fire station tour, fire and safety vehicle displays, drawings for smoke detectors, and safety tip and home fire escape plans.
FARM TO SCHOOL MONTH: John F. Kennedy Catholic School Lower Campus is celebrating National Farm to School Month by crunching into Scarpaci Produce apples in the third annual Great Lakes Great Apple Crunch 8:30 a.m. Thursday in the Covelli Gymnasium at the Lower Campus, 3000 Reeves Road, Warren.
There will be a healthy eating rally, trivia games, prizes and help from some Upper Campus athletes and student government representatives.
OKTOBERFEST: Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish in Niles will hold the annual fall Oktoberfest Friday to Sunday at the church, Robbins Avenue. There will be various festival food and other items. The Cleveland Browns football game will be shown 1 p.m. Sunday at the church.
Festival hours are 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, 4 to 9 p.m. Saturday and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday.
THIS MEANS WAR: The seventh annual This Means War 3-on-3 basketball tournament will be held 9 a.m.to 4 p.m. Saturday at Southington Chalker High School. Proceeds will benefit Alexandria Baker, a Warren mother of two young daughters who was diagnosed with breast cancer in March. She has received chemotherapy and surgery.
The event will include basket raffle, double elimination 3-on-3 basketball game with adult and teen teams competing for prizes. For information, visit www.WarAgainstBreastCancer.webs.com
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Cortland Community Band — 7 p.m., Cortland Middle School, Wakefield Drive. Visit CortlandCommunityBand.org or call Pat at 330-652-2424. No auditions needed.
• Cancer Caregiver Support Group Trumbull County — 6 to 8 p.m. St. Mary’s Church, 3504 Main St., Mineral Ridge. Joyce, 330-652-0071.
• Higher Education Assistance — Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University — 6:30 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. 330-369-3010.
• TOPS 1429 — weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Wednesday Morning Recovery, Narcotics Anonymous — closed discussion 10 a.m., USW, 1375 Union Hall, Room 7, 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Willingness Group — 10:30 a.m., Salvation Army, 1501 Glenwood Ave., Youngstown.
• Wednesday Here and Now — 6 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Champion Group — 6:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 3924 High St. NW, Champion.
• It Works: How and Why — 7:30 p.m., Shrine of Our Lady, 517 S. Belle Vista Ave., Youngstown.
• Families Anonymous Warren — newcomers 6:45 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 160 Clifton Drive, Warren. 330-307-8182.
• Niles Al-Anon — 8 p.m., New Hope United Methodist Church, 21 Fairview Ave., Niles.
• Austintown Never Alone Nar-Anon Group — 7 p.m. upstairs at the Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 5211 Mahoning Ave., Austintown, a 12-step program for relatives and friends affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. 330 207-0845.
• God Walked In — 5 p.m., 5 Memorial Drive, Greenville, Pa.
• Cortland Area Kiwanis Club — noon, Enzo’s, Elm Road, Warren.
• Warren Rotary Club — noon, Enzo’s Restaurant, Elm Road NE.
• TOPS 1350, Cortland — weigh-in, 9:15 a.m., Bazetta Township Hall, 3372 state Route 5, Bazetta.
• TOPS 1859 — 5:30 p.m. for weigh-in and meeting 6 p.m., Champion Christian Church, 151 Center St., Champion.
• Parkinson Support Group of Trumbull County — 1:30 p.m., Howland United Methodist Church, 730 Howland Wilson Road, Howland. 330-856-4286.
• Niles Kiwanis — noon, Hometown Buffet, Eastwood Mall complex, Niles.
• PERI monthly meeting — 11:15 a.m., DiLucia’s Restaurant, 2610 Elm Road NE, Warren. 330-372-2603.
• Fourth Ward Girard Block Watch — 5 p.m. at the Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., Girard.
• BRISTOL ZONING COMMISSION will meet 7 p.m. today at township hall.
• EAGLE JOINT FIRE DISTRICT BOARD will meet 7 p.m. today at the fire station, 33 W. Liberty St., Hubbard. A meeting of the Records Retention Commission of the district will be held at 6:30 p.m.
• GIRARD BOARD OF APPEALS will meet 6 p.m. today at the mayor’s officer conference room.
• HOWLAND BOARD OF EDUCATION will meet 4:30 p.m. today at the board offices for work session on five-year forecast and other business.
• MAPLEWOOD BOARD OF EDUCATION rescheduled its meeting from this week to 7 p.m. Oct. 18 at the high school.
• NAMI MAHONING VALLEY STEERING COMMITTEE will meet 11 a.m. today at Valley Counseling Services.
• HOWLAND PARK BOARD will meet 4:30 pm. Thursday at the park building.
• LORDSTOWN RECREATION COMMITTEE will meet 5 p.m. today at the village municipal building caucus room.
• NILES ZONING APPEALS BOARD will meet 10 a.m. Thursday at the city building conference room.
• TRUMBULL CAREER AND TECHNICAL CENTER will meet 7 p.m. Thursday at board meeting room. High school program committee meets 6 p.m. in the director’s office. Finance committee meets 6 p.m.
• TRUMBULL COUNTY TOURISM BUREAU Board of Directors will meet 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the tourism office in Warren.