Making pumpkins pretty for holiday
PUMPKIN DECORATING: St. Joseph Warren Hospital in collaboration with Trumbull County United Way will hold its fourth annual pumpkin decorating contest 10 a.m.to 7 p.m. Oct 18 and 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 19 in the hospital’s main lobby. Pumpkins have been donated and decorated by many of hospital departments. Tickets will be sold to win the pumpkins with proceeds benefiting United Way. A drawing of winners will be 3 p.m. Oct. 19.
COMMITTEE TO MEET: Hartford Apple Festival Committee will meet 7 p.m. Wednesday at the township municipal building for a wrap-up for the business for the 2017 festival and volunteer suggestions and input for the 2018 festival.
OPEN HOUSE: The Downtown Leavittsburg Historical Association will hold a monthly open house 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at the Leavittsburg Heritage Museum off West Market Street. There will be a free picnic for all in attendance.
BIRTHPLACE MEMORIAL CELEBRATION: The National McKinley Birthplace Memorial, 40 N. Main St. Niles, will hold its centennial re-dedication and time capsule opening 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. The day will include free tours of the McKinley Birthplace Memorial Museum, which was officially dedicated Oct. 5, 1917. At noon, there will be a rededication for the memorial with a portrayal of President William Howard Taft and guest speaker Dorothy Butler, the great-granddaughter of founder Joseph Butler. The Niles High School band, Belles and Beaux, will perform. At 2 p.m. the time capsule, with artifacts to be exhibited in the museum, will be opened.
DOG HOWLOWEEEN: A ”Howloween” for dogs will be held noon to 4 p.m. Sunday at the dog park at Mosquito Lake State Park in Bazetta. The event will include costume contest, prizes, games and vendors.
• Purple Heart meeting — 7 p.m. Disabled American Veterans, 2044 Youngstown Road SE, Warren.
• Lupus Support Group — 7 p.m. Trumbull Memorial Hospital, Conference Room B, 1350 E. Market St., Warren.
• Mosquito Creek Woodcarvers — 7 p.m. Lake Vista Clubhouse, 303 N. Mecca St., Cortland. Call 330-442-9669.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, Warren, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Tuesday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m. Meridian Place, 1184 N. Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Attitude of Gratitude — 12:30 p.m. Beatitude House, 1370 Tod Ave., Warren.
• Women in Progress — 7 p.m. Serenity Place, 21 E. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• Tuesday Night Surrender — 7:30 p.m. Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• Nicotine Anonymous — 5:30 p.m. St. Joseph Warren Hospital Warren Room, 627 Eastland Ave. SE, Warren.
• Celebrate Recovery — 6:30 p.m. Fowler Community Church, 4651 state Route 305, Fowler, 12-step faith-based program. Call 330-550-3393.
• Smalltown Recovery Al-Anon Family Group — 6:30 to 8 p.m. Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., Kinsman.
• TOPS Ohio 1694, Champion — weigh-in 5:15 p.m., meeting 6 p.m., St. John Lutheran Church, 5734 Mahoning Ave. NW, Champion. Call 330-502-8483.
• Kickin’ It In Kinsman, a Narcotics Anonymous meeting — 7 p.m. Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., Kinsman.
• Girard-Liberty Rotary — 6 p.m. Amen Corner, 21 W. Main St., Girard. Call 330-539-5837 or 330-545-5694.
• Girard-Liberty Kiwanis Club — 6:30 p.m. Golf Dome, 1300 N. State St. Call 330-545-1338.
• Stephen Foster Chorus — singing group for men 7 p.m. Warren SCOPE Center, 220 W. Market St., Warren. Call 330-652-5739.
• Food Addicts Anonymous — 7 p.m. Grace Lutheran Church, 162 S. Raccoon Road, Austintown. Call 330-793-1599.
• Al-Anon — 9:30 a.m. First Presbyterian Church of Warren, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, 9 a.m. beginner’s meeting.
• Urban 4-H — 5:30 pm. Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren.
• TOPS OHIO 1374 — weigh-in 8:45 a.m., First Church of God, 426 W. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• TOPS OHIO 1165 — weigh-in 8:30 a.m., meeting 9 a.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• TOPS 1060 — weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting at 6:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Champion Rotary Club — noon Wayside Inn.
• Codependency and Grief for those who have lost loved ones to alcohol or drug abuse, 7 p.m Care Center of the Kelley-Robb-Cummins Funeral Home, 709 N. Main St., Hubbard. Call 330-534-1952.
• Historic Perkins Homestead Neighborhood Association — 6:30 p.m. Kinsman House, 303 Mahoning Ave., Warren. Call 330-507-8831 or 330-392-0863.
• Youngstown Area Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays — 6:30 p.m. St. John Episcopal Church, 323 Wick St., Youngstown. Call 330-747-2696 or email Pflagy@gay.com.
• Ladies Auxiliary Unit 700 — 6:15 p.m. Howland American Legion Post 700, 8273 High St. NE, Howland.
• SOAR Chapter 28-4, American Welding Retirees Local 1574 — 10:30 a.m. United Steel Workers 1375 Union Hall, 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• NAMI Family Support Groups — 7 p.m. D&E Center, 142 Javit Court, Austintown. Call 330-531-7490 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Minute by Minute Narcotics Anonymous — 7 p.m. closed discussion, First Presbyterian Church of Warren, 256 Mahoning Ave., Warren.
• TRUMBULL COUNTY EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE will meet noon today at the Emergency Management offices, 640 N. River Road, Warren.
• FARMINGTON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES will meet 6 p.m. Wednesday at township hall.
• SOUTHINGTON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES will meet 6 p.m. Wednesday at township hall.
• MCDONALD PLANNING COMMISSION will meet 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at municipal building.
• HOWLAND TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES will meet 6 p.m. Wednesday at township administration building.
• WARREN CITY COUNCIL will meet 6 p.m. Wednesday at municipal justice building with caucus 5:15 p.m.
• BRISTOL BOARD OF EDUCATION will meet 6 p.m. Wednesday at elementary media center.
• WEATHERSFIELD ZONING COMMISSION will meet 6 p.m. Wednesday at the township hall.
• MAPLEWOOD BOARD OF EDUCATION will meet 7 p.m. Wednesday at the high school.
• BRISTOL ZONING COMMISSION will hold fourth quarterly meeting 7 p.m. Wednesday at the township hall.
• CHAMPION ZONING BOARD will meet 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at township hall.
• BAZETTA PARK COMMITTEE has rescheduled meeting to 6 p.m. Oct. 17 at township hall.
• NEWTON FALLS BOARD OF EDUCATION will hold special meeting 5 p.m. Wednesday at board room at high school on treasurer applications and compensation.
• BROOKFIELD TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES will hold special meeting and work session 2 p.m. Wednesday at township hall with police department.
• WARREN TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES will hold special meeting 11 a.m. today at the township hall to meet with the road union and union officials to discuss the new contract. Trustees will meet with department heads immediately following this meeting.