Leaders discuss drug epidemic
ADDRESSING OPIOID CRISIS: The Mahoning Valley Association of Churches will host the free community event “Hope, Healing and Recovery” 7 p.m. Wednesday at Mineral Ridge High School gymnasium, 1334 Seaborn St. The event is for anyone seeking to understand, cope with or overcome opioid addiction. Educational materials will also be available from participating organizations.
The panel for the evening will include local officials, recovery experts and community members living and working with this disease. There will also be time for a town-hall type forum when the panel will address questions from the audience.
MVAC includes congregations from Mahoning, Trumbull and Columbiana counties.
VENDORS SOUGHT FOR SHOW: Parents of Girl Scout Troop #124 will hold their fifth annual craft / vendor show 10 a.m to 3 p.m. Nov. 18 at United Methodist Church, 326 Ridge Road, Newton Falls. Set-up will begin 8 a.m. Vendors may call 330-872-1353. Each crafter will be required to donate one item for a raffle.
LIONS TO MEET: Howland Township Lions Cub will meet 7 p.m. Wednesday at Shepherd of the Valley chapel, 4100 North River Road. Men and women age 18 and older interested in being members are welcome. For information, call Bob at 330-792-7907.
OLD FASHIONED BINGO: Hubbard Historical Society will sponsor an “Ole Fashioned Bingo” Wednesday at the Hubbard VFW Post 3767, 710 W. Liberty St. Doors open at 5 p.m. and the first game starts at 6. Free coffee will be provided and pizza and snacks will be available. Those attending are asked to use the lower level parking lot. The first 40 players to arrive will receive free neon tote bags.
YWCA HISTORY: Trumbull Geneaological Society will meet 10:15 a.m. Wednesday at the Warren-Trumbull County Public Library second floor. Guest speaker Molly Toth of the Warren YWCA will speak about the association’s centennial celebration.
ENVIRONMENT FORUM: Hiram College will present the fourth annual Environment and Society Forum, with teacher, writer and designer Pandora Thomas, noon to 1:30 p.m. Thursday in the Dix Dining Room of the Kennedy Center. Her topic, “Collaborative Design for Social Innovation,” is an interactive workshop offering tools and techniques for designing how groups can work together to maximize innovation, effectiveness and enjoyment.
Also, “Social Permaculture: Applying Ecological Principles to Social Design,” will be presented from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the Kennedy Center ballroom. The talk will feature practical ways to effectively communicate and engage across diverse audiences to meet goals for healthy, vibrant communities.
Both events are free to the public. No registration required.
• A New Day Nar-Anon Family Group — 7 p.m. Serenity Place, 29 E. Broad St. Newton Falls. Call Teri, 330-646-4480, or Patty, 330-307-3002.
• Better Your Future Through Hope — 6 p.m. Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• First Things First — 6 p.m. literature discussion, Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Cortland Area Kiwanis — 5 p.m. Real Deal Coffee Cafe.
• Howland Rotary Club — noon Shepherd of the Valley, North River Road.
• Youngstown Executive Toastmasters — 6:45 p.m. Shepherd of the Valley, 301 Western Reserve Road, Boardman. Visit www.speakingclub.org.
• Youngstown Toastmasters Executive 408 — 6:40 p.m. Adamas Square, 8131 Market St., Boardman.
• Celebrate Recovery — 6:30 p.m. Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, Bloomfield, eight-step Christian program. Call 330-599-2402.
• Monday Night Serenity Hall AA — 7:30 p.m. Badger Hall, First Presbyterian Church, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren.
• TOPS Ohio 1353, Leavittsburg — weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Leavittsburg Church of God, 610 S. Leavitt Road, Leavittsburg. Call 330-898-0357.
• TOPS Ohio 698, Girard — weigh-in 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., meeting 6:30 p.m., First Christian Church, 140 E. Broadway Ave., Girard. Call 330-545-4770 or 330-534-2618.
• Nothing to Fear — 10 a.m. First Presbyterian Church, 4 Summit St., Niles.
• Monday Night Miracles — 7 p.m. Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• Hubbard HOW — 7:30 p.m. Church of the Nazarene, 1815 Chestnut Ridge Road, Hubbard.
• Cortland Class of 1958 — noon Lake Tavern. Call 330-637-8616.
• The Landing — 6 p.m. celebrate recovery program for teens, Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• AFCME — 1 p.m., Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, 2742 North Road, Warren.
• The Weigh Inn — weigh-in 5 to 6 p.m., meeting 6:15 p.m., Niles Senior Center, 14 E. State St. Call 330-652-9098.