Wear orange to spotlight hunger
HUNGER ACTION MONTH: On Thursday, as part of Hunger Action Month, Second Harvest Food Bank asks supporters to wear orange, the symbolic color of hunger to help raise awareness.
The Food Bank is also asking the community to share what they couldn’t do without adequate nutrition by writing on an empty plate, “On an empty stomach I can’t (blank),” and filling in the blank with something they couldn’t achieve without the nutrition we need to thrive. These photos can be posted to social media with #HungerActionMonth, @SHFBMV and @FeedingAmerica.
In the Mahoning Valley, more than 87,000 people struggle with hunger and may not know where they’ll find their next meal, according to Second Harvest.
September marks the tenth year the Feeding America network of food banks has organized this annual call to action. This year the campaign will focus on the strong connections between hunger and health.
NEW PROGRAM: Geronimo, a program for youth ages preschool to 18 on Warren’s northwest side, will begin 6 p.m. Tuesday at Grace United Methodist Church, 1725 Drexel NW, Warren. A free dinner at 6 p.m. will precede the interactive sessions of creative arts, team building and academic tutoring and homework help.
The pre-kindergarten program is designed to teach the early literacy and math skills needed for a successful start in kindergarten.
Geronimo will meet from 6 to 8 p.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays each month. Visit Facebook/My Warren Grace or call 330-395-5231 for more information. The AWANA program will continue to meet the first and third Tuesdays.
HYPNOSIS CLASS: A group hypnosis session for weight loss and stop smoking will be held 6 p.m.Wednesday at The Yoga Center inside the Governors Insurance, 972 Youngstown Kingsville Road, Vienna. There will be a free CD for use at home.
For registration call Steve Tackett 330-647-0399.
GARDENERS TO MEET: The Trumbull County Master Gardeners will hold a free garden program 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Trumbull Agriculture and Family Education Center in Cortland. The theme is lilacs. For information, call 330-307-6422.
MEMORIES SERIES: Easy Street Productions’ founders Todd Hancock and Maureen Collins will share “Memories of a Lifetime” for the William Holmes McGuffey Historical Society community engagement program series 10 a.m. Saturday at Kravitz’s Deli Meeting Room, 3135 Belmont Avenue, Liberty.
Admission is $5 and light refreshments will be served. Entertainment is by Dolores DePietro, and a 50/50 raffle will be held to benefit the society’s education mission. Reservations are suggested and walk-ins are welcomed.
Society memberships and the McGuffey Anniversary DVD will be sold at the door.
For twenty-nine years, Easy Street Productions has produced sell-out performances of family-centered musicals. Hancock and Collins will share their vision and experiences in an informal conversational format, and sing a few songs. A question-and-answer period will follow the presentation.
To make reservations or for information, contact Richard S. Scarsella at 330-726-8277.
• To reach the 24-hour information referral and crisis intervention service in Trumbull County, call Trumbull 211 at 330-393-1565 or 211. Call Trumbull 211 or Help Hotline at 330-747-2696 or 800-427-3606 for more information on service agencies and support groups.
• Someplace Safe Inc., domestic violence agency, offers support groups for women, children and individual support services. 330-393-3005.
• Sunday Night Our Gratitude Speaks Narcotics Anonymous — 7 p.m. Serenity Place, 29 E. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• Sunday breakfast — 8:30 to 9 a.m., Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, Warren, served by Tod United Methodist Church. The mission serves meals daily at noon and 4 p.m.
• Write to Recover — 10 a.m., Meridian Place, 1184 N. Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Master Discipleship Group — 6 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, Warren.
• Gamblers Anonymous 12-Step fellowship — 7:30 p.m. Christ Church Presbyterian Church, 3425 Hopkins Road, Cornersburg. 330-505-5060.
• Sunday Solutions — 2 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Keeping it Simple — 7 p.m., Sahara Club, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Regardless Of — 7 p.m., Christ Episcopal Church, 2627 Atlantic Ave., Warren.
• Nar-Anon — 7 p.m., Sahara Club, 2345 Youngstown Road SE, Warren, 12-step program for relatives and friends who have been adversely affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. Bill, 330 856-3822.
• DATA PROCESSING BOARD will meet 9 a.m. Monday on second floor of auditor’s office.
• GIRARD LIBRARY BOARD will meet 7 p.m. Monday at the library meeting room.
• LORDSTOWN FINANCE COMMITTEE will meet noon Monday at the municipal building.
• McKINLEY MEMORIAL LIBRARY BOARD will meet 4 p.m. Monday at McKinley Replica House in Niles.
• SOUTHINGTON WATER BOARD will meet 5 p.m. Monday at township hall.
• TRUMBULL COUNTY EDUCATIONAL SERVICE BOARD will meet 5 p.m. Monday at the service center, 6000 Youngstown Warren Road in Niles.
• TRUMBULL COUNTY COMMISSIONERS will meet 10:30 a.m. Tuesday for workshop.
• TRUMBULL COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION will meet 9 a.m. Tuesday at the commission’s conference room, 185 E. Market St., Warren.