Roses honor Vietnam vets
LAYING OF ROSES: The Laying of the Roses by the Vietnam Veterans Association will be noon Friday at the Veterans Memorial at Courthouse Square, Warren. There will be a short ceremony.
RELAY FOR LIFE EVENT: Cars from ”Ghostbusters” and ”Back to the Future” will be among those exhibited at Mary’s Pink Ribbon Racers Relay for Life Team benefit Car, Truck and Bike Show 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 23 at Austintown Eagles, 1655 S. Raccoon Road (across from Wedgewood Pizza). Entry fee is $3 per vehicle. Free admission for the public. There will be goody bags for the first 50 registrants. Door prizes, raffles, 50/50, children’s activities, food and drinks will be available all day. All proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society. Rain date is Sept. 24.
SPORTS INJURY CLINIC: Mercy Health-Youngstown will offer treatment for injured student-athletes 9 to 11 a.m. Saturdays, Sept. 16, 23 and 30 during its Saturday sports injury clinic. Treatment for all types of orthopaedic and sports injuries will be available. The Saturday sports injury clinic will be open every Saturday morning through Nov. 4. The clinic has two locations, Howland Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, 1932 Niles-Cortland Road, NE, Warren; and Boardman Orthopaedics, 835 McKay Court, Boardman. Walk-ins are welcome and no appointment is necessary. Most insurances are accepted. For information, call the Howland location at 330-306-0395 or the Boardman location at 330-758-4399.
EVENT AT STATE PARK: A Lobster Fest and Clam Bake will be 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday at the Mosquito Lake State Park. Presale tickets are requested by calling 330-637-2076. Musical entertainment is planned.
NEOAS OFFERS TRAINING: Northeast Ohio Adoption Services, (NOAS), invites Ohio couples or singles to register for free adoption/foster care pre-placement education series. NOAS offers two types of classes to accommodate families varying schedules. Weekend blitz classes are offered four times a year where all 36 hours of required training is completed in three days, and regular class series are offered four times a year, which are completed over the period of a month. September and October classes are weekend blitz classes and are already full. Regular class series start on Nov. 4 and run until Nov. 20. Those who have been considering becoming a foster or adoptive parent, adults over 21, can find out more about Ohio children and teens served by the child welfare system who are waiting for permanent home. November is National Adoption Month and NOAS is helping to raise awareness about the need for adoptive families for older youth in foster care through recruiting, training and supporting families. The sign-up deadline is Nov. 2 by calling 1-800-686-6627, ext. 126.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Business Connections of Trumbull County — 7:30 a.m. Panera Restaurant on Elm Road, Warren. 330-719-0727.
• Roundtable Carvers woodcarving club — 9 to 11:30 a.m., Senior Center, Fifth Avenue, Youngstown, 330-318-3609.
• Engage Prayer and Intercession Group — 6:30 p.m., 3217 Surrey Ave., Warren. 330-550-3393.
• Thursday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m, Meridian Place, 1184 Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Where Are You at Today — noon, United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• Thursday Clean People — 7 p.m., Niles Senior Center, 14 E. State St., Niles.
• Kids Club Children Ministries — 6 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Niles Rotary Club — noon, Ciminero’s Banquet Centre, 123 N. Main St., Niles.
• Warren Kiwanis — noon, Buena Vista Cafe, Warren.
• People Empowering Progress Productivity — promote aftercare following incarceration, 6 to 7:30 p.m., 2051 Niles Road SE, Warren.
• Messies Anonymous — 7 to 8:30 p.m., Unity Centre, 1226 Naylor Lloyd Road, Girard. Pam, 330-544-4846.
• NAMI Connection — 1:30 p.m. Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown. 330-531-7490, email@example.com or www.namimv.org
• NAMI Connection — 6 p.m., D&E Center, 142 Javit Court, Austintown. 330-531-7490, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.namimv.org
• Warren Thursday Al-Anon Group — 7:30 p.m., SS. Cyril and Methodius Church, 185 Laird Ave. NE, Warren.
• TOPS Ohio 188 — weigh-in at 5:15 p.m., meeting at 5:45 p.m., Covenant Presbyterian Church, 2050 Oakdale NW, Warren.
• TOPS 1497 — weigh-in 9:30 a.m., meeting at 10 a.m., Smith Corners United Methodist Church, 3000 S. Canfield Niles Road, Austintown. 330-759-4737.
• Divorce/Death Aren’t Really the End (DARE) singles group — 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Disciples Christian Church, 565 Boardman Canfield Road. 330-729-0127.
• Trumbull County Veterans Service Commission — 10 a.m. Paul E. Heltzel Community Room at the Trumbull County Veterans Service Commission, 253 E. Market St., Warren.
NILES ZONING APPEALS BOARD will meet 10 a.m. today at the city building.
MAHONING COUNTY COMMISSIONERS will meet 10 a.m today at the commissioners’ hearing room. The staff meeting will be held 10:30 a.m. today at the county administration building.
TRUMBULL TOURISM BUREAU will meet 5:30 p.m. today at the tourism office in Warren.
HUBBARD PARK AND RECREATION BOARD will meet 7 p.m. today at the municipal buildimng.
TRUMBULL SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT will meet 8:30 a.m. Friday at Trumbull Agriculture and Family Center in Cortland.
TRUMBULL COUNTY TRANSIT BOARD will meet 9 a.m. Friday at the Trumbull County Educational Service Center confrence room, Route 422, Niles..
AREA AGENCY ON AGING BOARD will meet 1 p.m. Friday at its offices in Eastwood Mall in Niles.
LORDSTOWN SAFETY COMMITTEE will meet 4:30 p.m. today in the caucus room at administration building.