5k run honors woman’s memory
MEMORIAL RUN: The Brittany Szwedko Memorial 5k Run and Dog Walk will begin at 9 a.m. Sunday at the Austintown Township Park, 6000 Kirk Road. As a celebration of Szwedko, the 5K run / dog walk has been planned in her honor by Legacy Dog Rescue. The 5K race will be timed by All Sports Timing Race Management and will begin at 9 a.m. Registration starts at 7:30 a.m. The dog walk starts at 9:30 a.m. and will follow a 1-mile course. One-third of a mile of the 5K course will be run on grass, the majority of the course is pavement or trails in Austintown Township Park. Awards will be given after the race. Refreshments will be available as well as concessions for purchase. All proceeds go toward a Brittany Szwedko Memorial scholarship. Szwedko was killed by a hit-and-run drunk driver in February 2016.
TOD’S CROSSING EVENT: Tod’s Crossing Community, 1330 Blakely Circle SW, Warren, will hold a community-wide garage sale 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday. Residents of Tod Crossing will place items on their porches during the event.
COFFEE AND CONVERSATION: Youngstown Councilwoman Anita Davis will host a coffee and conversation 10 a.m. Saturday at the Flambeau Dinner Club, 2308 Market St. There will be an overview of major happenings and will answer questions and give updates on next year’s finances and upcoming council legislation.
HEALTH FAIR SET: Health care workers from Washington Square Healthcare Center will be volunteering their time noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday for a health fair at the Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave, Warren. Healthcare professionals will check vitals signs, including heart rate and blood pressure. The event is free of charge.
4-H YOUTH EVENT: The Trumbull County 4-H Shooting Sports Pioneers Club will host a free NRA Youth Sportsfest 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 23 at the Fish and Game Club of Vienna on state Route 193 across from the Youngstown Warren Regional Airport. The purpose of this event is to teach basic gun and archery safety for youth ages 9 to 18 years old. Participants will have the opportunity to safely shoot .22 rifle, .22 pistol, shotgun, muzzleloading rifle and archery equipment with adult supervision. The Vienna Township Fire Department will have an emergency squad exhibit at the event. Youth and their parents will receive a gun safety lesson taught by a certified instructor prior to the shooting events.Pre-registration is required by calling 330-898-4486 or email at email@example.com. Parents must sign a release. No guns owned by the participants are to be brought to this event.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Business Connections of Trumbull County — 7:30 a.m. Panera Restaurant on Elm Road, Warren. 330-719-0727.
• Roundtable Carvers woodcarving club — 9 to 11:30 a.m., Senior Center, Fifth Avenue, Youngstown, 330-318-3609.
• Engage Prayer and Intercession Group — 6:30 p.m., 3217 Surrey Ave., Warren. 330-550-3393.
• Thursday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m, Meridian Place, 1184 Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Where Are You at Today — noon, United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• Thursday Clean People — 7 p.m., Niles Senior Center, 14 E. State St., Niles.
• Kids Club Children Ministries — 6 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Niles Rotary Club — noon, Ciminero’s Banquet Centre, 123 N. Main St., Niles.
• NAMI Family Support Group — 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Girard Free Library, 330-584-9213.
• Warren Kiwanis — noon, Buena Vista Cafe, Warren.
• People Empowering Progress Productivity — promote aftercare following incarceration, 6 to 7:30 p.m., 2051 Niles Road SE, Warren.
• NAMI Connection — 1:30 p.m. Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown. 330-531-7490, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.namimv.org
• Warren Thursday Al-Anon Group — 7:30 p.m., SS. Cyril and Methodius Church, 185 Laird Ave. NE, Warren.
• TOPS Ohio 188 — weigh-in at 5:15 p.m., meeting at 5:45 p.m., Covenant Presbyterian Church, 2050 Oakdale NW, Warren.
• TOPS 1497 — weigh-in 9:30 a.m., meeting at 10 a.m., Smith Corners United Methodist Church, 3000 S. Canfield Niles Road, Austintown. 330-759-4737.
• Hillside Stroke Support Group, 2:30 p.m. in the boardroom. Cindy, 330-841-3891.
• Divorce/Death Aren’t Really the End (DARE) singles group — 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Disciples Christian Church, 565 Boardman Canfield Road. 330-729-0127.
• Trumbull County Veterans Service Commission — 10 a.m. Paul E. Heltzel Community Room at the Trumbull County Veterans Service Commission, 253 E. Market St., Warren.