Off to see Wizard at Upton House
WIZARD OF OZ: The Upton Association will hold a free open house 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at the Harriet Taylor Upton House, 380 Mahoning Ave., Warren.
The display will feature Wizard of Oz memorabilia. Upton House, home of suffragette Harriet Taylor Upton, will be open for viewing. All rooms are furnished in the appropriate time period. Members of the Upton Association will serve as hosts and a special room of suffragette artifacts will be open for the display. Visitors can also walk across the street and stroll through the Women’s Park , under the care of the Upton Association. The group also will participate in Equality Day on Aug. 26. The Upton Association sells bricks for the Women’s Park and rents out the Upton House for small group parties. For information, call 330-395-1840 or visit the web at www.uptonhouse .org or Upton Association on Facebook.
QUARTER AUCTION: Parents of Venture Crew 4054 out of the Bazetta-Cortland Optimist Club and Scout Troop 54 are hosting a quarter auction 5 p.m. Aug. 9 at the Optimist Club, 2619 Hoagland Blackstub Road, Warren. There will be door prizes, a 50 / 50 and beef raffle. Prizes include a casino trip, Steelers autographed memorabilia, sporting event tickets, jewelry, gift cards and more. The cost includes one bidding paddle. For information, call or text 330-787-4094 or 330-718-1499.
FREE CLOTHING GIVEAWAY: Cortland Trinity Baptist Church, 2576 McCleary Jacoby Road, will hold a free clothing giveaway 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. The event is sponsored by Cortland Trinity Closet. There also will be a free lunch. Clothing donations and boys clothing items are needed. Call 440-685-4564.
FAMILY-FRIENDLY EVENT: The Victory Christian School Class of 2019 is hosting a family-friendly outdoor event 5 to 10 p.m. Aug. 11, at 2787 Warren Meadville Road, Cortland. Bring a lawn chair, blanket for an evening of fishing (bring pole), kayaking, food, and music provided by VCS students, a local Christian worship band, Strums and Drums, and Kossuth and the Turncoat. The fishing derby and concert are included with the price of admission. Food will be available for purchase. Children 5 and under are admitted free. Call Dawn Carsone 330-448-6790 or visit the school website www.victorychargers.org or Facebook page.
KIDS CREATE A JERSEY: The Mahoning Valley Scrappers will hold a ”Kids Create a Jersey Night” Saturday benefitting Akron Children’s Hospital Mahoning Valley. The events include a silent auction of sports memorabilia and color burst 5K. The Mahoning Valley Scrappers will wear a special jersey designed by Bailey, 8, of Leavittsburg. She was the winner of the Akron Children’s Hospital Design a Jersey contest.
CLOTHING PROGRAM: Trumbull County Department of Job and Family Services will be offering school clothing and supplies through the Prevention, Retention and Contingency plan for families with children ages 5 to 14. Vouchers will be issued on a first-come, first-serve basis. Adults only are to come to 280 N. Park Ave., Warren, 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays in August or 4 to 6 p.m. Aug. 16 and 30. There will be a maximum of 300 applicants on Saturdays and 150 on Wednesdays.
5K RUN: St. Patrick Church in Hubbard will sponsor a 5k fun walk and run 9 a.m. Saturday to benefit the church’s food pantry. Sign in at 7:30 a.m. at the church parking lot, 343 N. Main St. Hubbard.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
• Business Connections of Trumbull County — 7:30 a.m. Panera Restaurant on Elm Road, Warren. 330-719-0727.
• Roundtable Carvers woodcarving club — 9 to 11:30 a.m., Senior Center, Fifth Avenue, Youngstown, 330-318-3609.
• Engage Prayer and Intercession Group — 6:30 p.m., 3217 Surrey Ave., Warren. 330-550-3393.
• Thursday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m, Meridian Place, 1184 Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Where Are You at Today — noon, United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• Thursday Clean People — 7 p.m., Niles Senior Center, 14 E. State St., Niles.
• Kids Club Children Ministries — 6 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Niles Rotary Club — noon, Ciminero’s Banquet Centre, 123 N. Main St., Niles.
• NAMI Family Support Group — 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Girard Free Library, 330-584-9213.
• Warren Kiwanis — noon, Buena Vista Cafe, Warren.
• People Empowering Progress Productivity — promote aftercare following incarceration, 6 to 7:30 p.m., 2051 Niles Road SE, Warren.
• NAMI Connection — 1:30 p.m. Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown. 330-531-7490, email@example.com or www.namimv.org
• Warren Thursday Al-Anon Group — 7:30 p.m., SS. Cyril and Methodius Church, 185 Laird Ave. NE, Warren.
• TOPS Ohio 188 — weigh-in at 5:15 p.m., meeting at 5:45 p.m., Covenant Presbyterian Church, 2050 Oakdale NW, Warren.
• TOPS 1497 — weigh-in 9:30 a.m., meeting at 10 a.m., Smith Corners United Methodist Church, 3000 S. Canfield Niles Road, Austintown. 330-759-4737.
• Hillside Stroke Support Group, 2:30 p.m. in the boardroom. Cindy, 330-841-3891.
• Divorce / Death Aren’t Really the End (DARE) singles group — 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Disciples Christian Church, 565 Boardman Canfield Road. 330-729-0127.
• Trumbull County Veterans Service Commission — 10 a.m. Paul E. Heltzel Community Room at the Trumbull County Veterans Service Commission, 253 E. Market St., Warren.