Cortland hosts gingerbread fun
CORTLAND GINGERBREAD WALK: The Opera House, 152 Park Ave., Cortland, will host a gingerbread house contest, vendors, pop-up shops, children’s pictures with a life-size gingerbread house, caroling, music and face painting.
To register for the gingerbread house contest, call Christina at 330-240-2257 or 330-638-8707.
Several Cortland Specialty shops will take part in the Cortland Gingerbread Walk 10 a.m to 3 p.m. Saturday. Each participating business will have cut-out gingerbread marked on it.
HOLIDAYS AT MILL CREEK PARK: Mill Creek Metroparks will hold the Holiday Weekend celebration 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday to Sunday. On Saturday and Sunday, an Olde Fashioned Christmas at Lanterman’s Mill will feature artisans demonstrating old-fashioned crafts, and entertainment by a juggler, balloon artist and musicians.
Attendees are asked to bring a new hat, scarf or pair of mittens to decorate a “Giving Tree” for area children in need.
From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday will be a celebration at MetroParks Farm for Santa’s Winter Barn. Santa will make an appearance with some of his animal friends. There will be a holiday craft.
For information, visit millcreekmetroparks.org
HARTFORD GROUP TO MEET: The Hartford Historical Society is hosting a program on ”The Early Settlers of the Western Reserve” 7 p.m. Monday at Hartford Fire Hall, state routes 7 and 305. The program is presented by Traci Manning, curator of education at The Mahoning Valley Historical Society.
FUNDRAISER TO BENEFIT CHILDREN: Area Valvoline Instant Oil Change locations are conducting a Children’s Miracle Network through Wednesday to benefit Akron Children’s Hospital Boardman Campus. Valvoline customers are encouraged to make donations.
Participating are stores at 2769 Elm Road NE, Warren, 4822 Mahoning Ave., Austintown, and 7210 South Ave, Boardman.
In the prior years, local Valvoline locations raised more than $3,700 to help the programs and services at Akron Children’s Hospital.
• Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University — 6:30 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• TOPS 1429 — weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Wednesday Morning Recovery, Narcotics Anonymous — closed discussion 10 a.m., USW, 1375 Union Hall, Room 7, 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Willingness Group — 10:30 a.m., Salvation Army, 1501 Glenwood Ave., Youngstown.
• Wednesday Here and Now — 6 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Champion Group — 6:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 3924 High St. NW, Champion.
• It Works: How and Why — 7:30 p.m., Shrine of Our Lady, 517 S. Belle Vista Ave., Youngstown.
• Families Anonymous Warren — newcomers 6:45 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 160 Clifton Drive, Warren. Call 330-307-8182.
• Niles Al-Anon — 8 p.m., New Hope United Methodist Church, 21 Fairview Ave., Niles.
• Austintown Never Alone NarAnon Group, a 12-step program for relatives and friends affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs, 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic, 5211 Mahoning Ave., Austintown. Call 330 207-0845.
• God Walked In — 5 p.m., 5 Memorial Drive, Greenville, Pa.
• Mended Hearts Support Group — 7 p.m., Finnegan Auditorium, St. Elizabeth Health Center. 330-793-2531.
• Warren Rotary Club — noon, Enzo’s Restaurant, Elm Road N.E.
• TOPS 1350, Cortland — weigh-in, 9:15 a.m., Bazetta Township Hall, 3372 state Route 5.
• TOPS 1859 — 5:30 p.m. for weigh-in and meeting 6 p.m., Champion Christian Church, 151 Center St.
• Niles Kiwanis — noon, Hometown Buffet.
• TRUMBULL COUNTY COMMISSIONERS canceled their workshop session and regular meeting this week.
Items for the agenda must be submitted at least two days prior to the meeting date.