VFW sponsors essay programs
WRITING: Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1090 and the ladies auxiliary are presenting the Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen programs.
For Voice of Democracy, students in grades nine to 12 in public, private or parochial school or home study may write, type and record a three-to-five-minute essay on an audio CD or flash drive on this year’s theme, “My Responsibility to America.” The deadline to submit essays is Tuesday.
The theme for the Patriot’s Pen program is “The America I Believe In” and is open to students in grades 6 through 8. Write and type a 300- to 400-word essay on the theme and submit to the post or auxiliary. The due date is Tuesday.
Essays may also be delivered to post chairman Gary Gutelius, 330-898-7533, or Auxiliary chairman Anna McGrath, call 330-369-2945. Call for rules, or log onto www.vfw.org/VOD/ or www.vfw.org/PatriotsPen/
FREE ICE CREAM: Deliverance Temple Church, 1849 West Ave., Warren, is hosting a free ice cream social at 1 p.m. Saturday.
LIP SYNC BATTLE: The Niles McKinley Drama Club will host Lip Sync Battle 7 to 10 pm. Saturday at the high school auditorium. Price is $5 per person.
AARP TO HOST EVENT: AARP will have a hospitality tent 4 p.m. Saturday at the Youngstown State University football game. Anyone with an AARP card can get a reduced ticket of $5 by showing the card to the person in the ticket booth. At the tent will be a raffle for an autographed football for anyone who brings nonperishable food items to Second Harvest Food Bank from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
FRUIT FUNDRAISER: The Trumbull Career and Technical Center FFA is holding a fruit, cheese and sausage sale fundraiser through Nov. 16. Fruit will need to be picked up 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 10 at the power equipment lab at the school. For orders and information call 330-847-0503, ext. 1309.
ASSEMBLY SET: Howland High School is holding an assembly 9:30 a.m. today at the high school to educate students and the community about the impact heroin has on society. The program is titled “The Faces of Heroin.”
• To reach the 24-hour information referral and crisis intervention service in Trumbull County, call Trumbull 211 at 330-393-1565 or 211. Call Help Hotline at 330-747-2696 or 800-427-3606 for more information on service agencies and support groups.
• Business Connections of Trumbull County — 7:30 a.m. Panera Restaurant on Elm Road, Warren. 330-719-0727.
• Roundtable Carvers woodcarving club — 9 to 11:30 a.m., Senior Center, Fifth Avenue, Youngstown, 330-318-3609.
• Engage Prayer and Intercession Group — 6:30 p.m., 3217 Surrey Ave., Warren. 330-550-3393.
• Thursday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m, Meridian Place, 1184 Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Where Are You at Today — noon, United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• Thursday Clean People — 7 p.m., Niles Senior Center, 14 E. State St., Niles.
• Kids Club Children Ministries — 6 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Niles Rotary Club — noon, Ciminero’s Banquet Centre, 123 N. Main St., Niles.
• Warren Kiwanis — noon, Buena Vista Cafe, Warren.
• People Empowering Progress Productivity — promote aftercare following incarceration, 6 to 7:30 p.m., 2051 Niles Road S.E., Warren.
• NAMI Connection, 1:30 p.m. Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown. Call 330-531-7490, e-mail email@example.com or visit our website namimv.org
• NAMI Connection, 6 p.m., D&E Center, 142 Javit Court, Austintown. Call 330-531-7490, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website namimv.org
• Warren Thursday Al-Anon Group — 7:30 p.m., SS. Cyril and Methodius Church, 185 Laird Ave. N.E., Warren.
• TOPS Ohio 188 — weigh-in at 5:15 p.m., meeting at 5:45 p.m., Calvary Presbyterian Church, 119 Laird Ave N.E., Warren.
• TOPS 1497 — weigh-in 9:30 a.m., meeting at 10 a.m., Smith Corners United Methodist Church, 3000 S. Canfield-Niles Road, Austintown. 330-759-4737.