McDonald band hosts Drum Off
DRUM OFF EVENT: The McDonald High School Band in partnership with the McDonald Dairy Queen will hold a Drum Off 5:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesday with performances 6 p.m. at Dairy Queen, 69 E. Marshall St. There will be performers from McDonald, Girard and Western Reserve drum lines. The Dairy Queen will donate 20 percent of each purchase to the music program. Those attending may bring a lawn chair.
BOOK FAIR: Bascom Elementary School, North Leavitt Road, in the LaBrae School District, will hold a family night as part of the weeklong book fair from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. The library has been transformed into a cave with wrecked pirate ship, mermaid cove and waterfall. The school is also marking Spirit Week.
VIOLENCE AWARENESS WEEK: The YWCA of Youngstown will hold a Week Without Violence with “Words That Heal” 5 to 7 p.m. today at 25 W. Rayen Ave. The YWCA and Youngstown State University students from various organizations will speak on how violence has impacted their lives. The event is free. The week’s activities will take place today through Friday.
HOSPITAL ADMISSIONS: The Hubbard Public Library will hold ”Hospital 4-1-1” at 6:30 pm. today with program by Molly Lechler, a certified nurse specialist with Mercy Health. She will speak on hospital admissions, with new rules and regulations. To reserve a seat, call 330-534-3512, Ext. 2.
VFW PROGRAMS: Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1090 and the Ladies Auxiliary are presenting the Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen programs.
For Voice of Democracy, students in grades nine to 12 in public, private or parochial school or home study may write, type and record a three-to-five-minute essay on an audio CD or flash drive on this year’s theme, “My Responsibility to America.” The deadline is Nov. 1.
The theme for the Patriot’s Pen program is “The America I Believe In” and is open to students in grades six through eight. Write and type a 300- to 400-word essay on the theme and submit to the post or auxiliary. The due date is Nov. 1.
Essays may be delivered to post chairman Gary Gutelius, who may be reached at 330-898-7533, or auxiliary chair Anna McGrath, who may be reached at 330-369-2945. Call for rules, or visit www.vfw.org/VOD/ or www.vfw.org/PatriotsPen/.
• A New Day Nar-Anon Family Group, 7 p.m., Serenity Place, 29 E. Broad St. Newton Falls. Call Teri at 330-646-4480 or Patty at 330-307-3002.
• Better Your Future Through Hope — Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• First Things First — 6 p.m., literature discussion, Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Cortland Area Kiwanis — 5 p.m., Real Deal Coffee Cafe.
• Howland Rotary Club — noon, Shepherd of the Valley, North River Road.
• Youngstown Executive Toastmasters — 6:45 p.m., Shepherd of the Valley, 301 Western Reserve Road, Boardman. For information, visit www.speakingclub.org.
• Mental Health Support Group, 6 p.m. Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road. For information, call 330-369-3010.
• Youngstown Toastmasters Executive 408 — 6:40 p.m., Adamas Square at 8131 Market Street, Boardman.
• Celebrate Recovery — eight-step Christian program, 6:30 p.m., Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser-Ashtabula Road. Call 330-599-2402.
• Niles American Legion Post 106 — 6:30 p.m. post home, North Main Street. Call 330-652-1323.
• The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9678 — meeting 7 p.m., West High Street, Middlefield. Call Gary 440-321-0808.
• Kinship Association Support Meeting — 9:30 a.m., YWCA in Warren, second floor. Call 330-675-2617.
• Loving Outreach Surviving Suicide — 5:30 p.m., Valley Counseling, 150 E. Market St., Warren.
• Newton Falls VFW Ladies Auxiliary 3332 — 7 p.m., Post Home, 433 Arlington Road, Newton Falls.
• Monday Night Serenity Hall AA — 7:30 p.m., Badger Hall, First Presbyterian Church, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren.
• TOPS Ohio 1353, Leavittsburg — weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Leavittsburg Church of God, 610 S. Leavitt Road. Call 330-898-0357.
• TOPS Ohio 698, Girard — weigh-in 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., meeting 6:30 p.m., First Christian Church, 140 E. Broadway Ave., Girard. Call 330-545-4770 or 330-534-2618.
• Nothing to Fear — 10 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, 4 Summit St., Niles.
• Monday Night Miracles — 7 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• Hubbard HOW — 7:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 1815 Chestnut Ridge Road, Hubbard.
• Grief Support Group — 10:30 a.m. Vienna United Methodist Church community room, 4265 Warren Sharon Road, Vienna. Call 330-399-6650.
• The Landing — 6 p.m. celebrate recovery program for teens, Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• The Weigh Inn — weight loss support group, weigh-in 5 to 6 p.m., meeting 6:15 p.m., Niles Senior Center, 14 E. State St. Call 330-652-9098.