• “EXCELLENCE IN MANUFACTURING” NOMINATIONS SOUGHT: The Regional Chamber and partner MAGNET will honor a Valley manufacturer with their annual Excellence in Manufacturing Award. Nominations are being accepted for the award, which focuses on a company’s longevity in business, growth, product innovation and achievement. Deadline is Jan. 17. The award will be presented at the Chamber’s Economic Forecast breakfast Feb. 8 at Mr. Anthony’s in Boardman.
Nominated manufacturers must be located in Columbiana, Mahoning or Trumbull counties but need not be a member of the Regional Chamber. Candidates may self-nominate. Nominations may be completed and submitted online. Contact Sarah Boyarko, senior vice president of economic development at the Regional Chamber, at 330-744-2131, Ext. 1108, or Sarah@regionalchamber.com with questions.
• SAM PITZULO HOMES & REMODELING HONORED: Sam Pitzulo Homes & Remodeling LLC of Canfield received the Best of Ohio Homes award for the Best Historical renovation category by the Ohio Home Builders Association at the 2017 Fall Awards banquet in Columbus. The prestigious award is designed to recognize excellence among builders, remodelers, developers and associates throughout the state of Ohio. These awards are presented to companies who have made significant contributions to the residential housing market through outstanding craftsmanship, design and architecture.
• MATTHEW RIES NAMED SUPER LAWYER: Matthew M. Ries, an employment and civil litigation lawyer with Harrington, Hoppe & Mitchell Ltd., has been named as a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” for the fourth straight year. Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters rating service, awards its Super Lawyers distinction to the top 5 percent of attorneys in Ohio and other states, based on balloting and review by lawyers. The Rising Star distinction recognizes lawyers on that list who are under age 40 and have practiced law for less than 10 years.
Ries, a lawyer since 2008, was recognized in the area of employment litigation defense. He also practices in the areas of corporate, commercial and business law. He earned a Juris Doctor from the Capital University Law School in Columbus and a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from the Farmer School of Business at Miami University in Oxford. He is a graduate of Warren G. Harding High School.
• RIBBON CUT FOR TAX 29: A ribbon cutting was held last week for Tax 29, 1301 Boardman-Poland Road, Unit A, Poland. Tax 29 offers professional tax preparation at affordable prices. Tax 29 has been serving the Mahoning Valley for over 10 years and added its Warren office last year. The company prepared more than 10,000 returns between its Boardman and Warren offices last year, with customers receiving more than $20 million in refunds. Visit www.tax29.com for more information.
People on the move
• ASECU PROMOTES LORI M. EDWARDS: Associated School Employees Credit Union has promoted Lori M. Edwards to vice president of lending. She will be responsible for managing mortgage and consumer loans, MasterCard credit cards and Dealer Direct vehicle lending. Edwards has worked more than 25 years at ASECU. She was the first employee promoted to the title of loan officer and has managed the mortgage lending department and has been a branch manager. Lori is a lifelong resident of North Jackson.
Items for inclusion in Business Briefs, People on the Move or New Business listings may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted via the Tribune Chronicle Virtual Newsroom by visiting www.tribtoday.com and clicking “Submit news.”