EVENT TO BENEFIT SCOPE: Mike Wilson, SCOPE director, will turn 60 this month. To celebrate, Wilson rented the entire Trumbull New Theatre near the Eastwood Mall in Niles for a private showing of the live theater comedy “Second Time Around” by Henry Denker. Proceeds will go to SCOPE.
The show will be 3 p.m. Jan 21. The lobby opens at 2. The $15 admission includes finger foods, refreshments, wine and a birthday dessert. Stop by any SCOPE center to purchase tickets. Cash only.
TMM NEEDS VOLUNTEERS: Trumbull Mobile Meals, a community-based service agency dedicated to providing a home-delivered meal service to Trumbull County residents who are homebound, needs volunteers to help deliver meals.
TMM uses 45 to 50 volunteers per day to prepare, package and deliver meals to more than 200 individuals on a daily basis. People can volunteer as infrequently as once a month.
Call Terri Dean at Trumbull Mobile Meals at 330-394-2538.
HEALTH WATCH: Mercy Health Neighborhood Health Watch is offer free cholesterol screening, glucose screening and/or blood pressure screening at the following SCOPE locations:
• Cortland SCOPE, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Jan. 16.
• Lordstown SCOPE, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Jan. 17.
• Warren SCOPE, 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 25.
• Niles SCOPE, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Jan. 26.
GIRARD MULTI-GENERATIONAL CENTER, 443 Trumbull Ave., www.multigen.org. For information, call 330-545-6596 or go to www.multigen.org. Coffee bar every morning, 8:30 to 11 a.m.
Scheduled programs for January include:
• Movies in the Parlor are offered 9:30 a.m. every Thursday, and include popcorn and hot chocolate;
• The center will offer its Fitness Stretch Plus classes five days a week — 9:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and 1:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Healthy snacks will be provided. The program is sponsored in part by The Trumbull Memorial Health Foundation, a supporting organization of the Community Foundation of the Mahoning Valley. No stretching class Jan. 16;
• Sports Fan Potluck Luncheon and Chili Cook-off, noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday in the gym. Wear your favorite sports attire and bring a dish to share if not entering the cook-off. Chili cook-off competitors must call the center to sign up;
• Trumbull County Senior Services Seminar, 9 a.m. Jan. 23. Diane M. Siskowic-Jurkovic, CPA, the Trumbull County senior levy administrator, will talk about county senior services;
• Winter Potluck Breakfast, 9 a.m. Jan. 30 in the dining hall. Bring a dish to share.
NILES SCOPE: 14 E. State St., Niles. Open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday. Call 330-544-3676.
• Free dental van from Mercy Hospital, 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 22. Call the center for appointment.
• Book Chat, 2 p.m. the first Thursday of each month. “Hillbilly Elegy” by JD Vance is the book for January. February’s book will be “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee. Led by Carrie Kibby from the McKinley Memorial Library. Books are available at the library.
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at 10 locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. two working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 125 N. Bank St., noon Monday through Friday; 330-637-3010
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., 2 p.m. Monday through Friday; 330-545-5350
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday; 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday; 330-924-0412
• Lordstown SCOPE, 1776 Salt Springs Road, 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday; 330-824-2173
• Warren SCOPE, 220 W. Market St., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday; 330-399-8846
• West Farmington Senior Center, 151 College St., noon Wednesday through Friday; 330-889-2733
The menu is:
TODAY: Meatballs with marinara, Italian bread, baked ziti, Italian green beans, Caesar salad with dressing, apple slices, cookie.
TUESDAY: Beef braciole with gravy over noodles, white bread, lima beans, carrots, cottage cheese, peaches
WEDNESDAY: Breaded fish with cheese sandwich, macaroni and cheese, stewed tomatoes, tossed salad with Italian dressing, fresh fruit, pudding
THURSDAY: Tomato and wine braised chicken thigh, wheat bread, rice pilaf, brussels sprouts, three bean salad, cinnamon apples, gelatin
JAN. 19: Stuffed pepper with sauce, dinner roll, garlic whipped potatoes, corn, mixed fruit, brownie.
SENIOR WATCH PROGRAM: Liberty Township residents 60 and older are invited to sign up for the Liberty Township Senior Watch Program. For more information, contact Marcy Orlando, police secretary, at 330-759-1315, or Joy, fire secretary, at 330-759-0363, Ext. 102.
911 SPECIAL NEEDS REGISTRY: Individuals may sign up for the Trumbull County 911 Special Needs Registry Program to put information on file about their own, their child’s or other dependents’ special needs. Police, fire and ambulance personnel will be made aware of special needs en route to emergency calls.
Forms are available at the Trumbull County Commissioners Office, the Trumbull County Recorder’s Office, all Trumbull County SCOPE centers, or on the county 911 website at www.trumbull911.co.trumbull.oh.us under the “Special Needs” tab.
For information, contact Mauro DiVieste, special needs coordinator, at email@example.com, or at 330-675-7966.
SCOPE RIDES: SCOPE and the Trumbull County Transit Board provide seniors 60 and older free rides to and from the centers. The Trumbull County Transit system delivers rides on a first-come, first-served basis 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekends and holidays.
Call the center directly three days in advance of the desired trip. Some of the centers are providing the service only one or two days per week. Also, those wanting to eat meals at the Cortland, Lordstown, Niles or Warren centers need to let the center know after calling for transportation.
VAN HUFFEL, VANEX MEET: Former Van Huffel and Vanex Tube employees meet 8 a.m. Fridays at Wayside Restaurant, 825 State Road NW, Champion. For information, call 330-719-9781.
SENIOR CENTER: Ohio Living Home Health and Hospice Senior Center, 1110 Fifth Ave., Youngstown, offers chair yoga 1 p.m. Fridays. Call 330-744-5071.
JOHNSTON SENIOR CENTER: 5922 Warren Road, Johnston, 330-924-0412. Open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
HOWLAND SCOPE: 8273 High St., Howland. To register for one or more classes, call Howland SCOPE at 330-609-7806.
WARREN SCOPE: 375 N. Park Ave., Warren. For more information, call 330-399-8846. Open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday. Food pantry hours are 10 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
CORTLAND SCOPE: 125 N. Bank St., Cortland, 330-637-3010, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays, except for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays. Bingo is Mondays at 12:30 p.m.
FOWLER-VIENNA SENIOR CITIZENS: The group meets 9:30 a.m. or later Thursdays at the Fowler Community Center. The center is for those 55 and older.
LORDSTOWN SCOPE: Rear of Lordstown Elementary School, 1776 Salt Springs Road, Lordstown, 330-824-2173. Open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call ahead for lunch, which is served 11:30 a.m. weekdays.
FARMINGTON SENIOR CENTER: 150 College St., Farmington. Open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 7 a.m. to noon Mondays. Hot lunches are served Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Reservations are needed two days in advance. Call 330-889-2733 for more information.
CHAMPION SCOPE: 528 Educational Highway, Warren, 330-847-0503, Ext. 1638. Call ahead to attend meals. Beverages are included with meals. Tuesdays through Friday will be home-cooked lunch.
AUSTINTOWN SENIOR CENTER: 100 Westchester Drive. Open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday. Register for 11:30 a.m. lunch by 10:30 a.m. at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 330-953-1416.
COUNTRY NEIGHBOR: Country Neighbor Community Center, 39 S. Maple St., Orwell, is open Mondays through Fridays. All proceeds benefit the services and programs of Country Neighbor. For reservations or information, call Melissa May, program coordinator, at 440-437-6311, email email@example.com, or log onto www.facebook.com/Country-Neighbor.