IMMUNIZATION CLINICS: The Warren City Health District will hold its regular childhood immunization clinic 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. Sept. 11 and 25 and special clinic 8 a.m. to noon Sept, 21 at the health district, 258 E. Market St., Suite 327, Warren. No appointment is necessary. Children should be well, free of fever or illness. Bring an updated shot record and an insurance card (may require co-pay). For information, call 330-841-2596.
WELLNESS CENTER PROGRAMS: The City of Niles Wellness Center offers the following programs. To register, call the center at 330-349-9355 or email Theresa Scirocco at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lynda Briach at email@example.com.
• Free SilverSneakers class for members, 10 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
• Yoga with Tricia, 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. (Bring a mat).
• Spinning class, 6:30 p.m. Mondays, 7 p.m. Thursdays, 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and 8:30 a.m. Saturdays. Free for SilverSneakers and Fitness members.
Extra happenings at the center for the month of August, with a cost:
• Mommy and Me Yoga, 6 p.m. today.
• Narcan Education, Project Dawn training classes for Niles city businesses, 1 p.m. today. Must pre-register.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL, located next to Sears at the Eastwood Mall, Niles. Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Call 330-652-7542.
• Free peripheral vascular disease screening, 1 to 4 p.m.Thursday. Nurse will measure blood flow to the legs by doing Ankle Brachial Index. By appointment only. Call 330-652-7542.
• Free blood pressure screenings, 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday to Thursday and 2 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Both pneumonia vaccines available. Call for information.
• Exercise Classes — Free low-impact aerobic group exercise 8:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday; new SilverSneakers Cardio class 10 a.m. Monday and Friday; free SilverSneakers class 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday; easy yoga class 11 a.m. Monday and 9:30 a.m. Thursday; free chair yoga class 1 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m. Wednesday and Friday; exercise class for people with Parkinson’s 11 a.m. Monday and Friday; Zumba Gold classes 8:15 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday and 4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday (free for SilverSneakers); balance / movement exercise 11 a.m. Thursdays; SilverSneaker stability class 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays; and new Buns and Guns exercise class 10 a.m. Wednesdays (free to SilverSneakers).
• Friday — 7:45-8:45 a.m. Just Walk with a Doc. The event will combine an informative talk and a walk around the Eastwood Mall with Dr. Sabine Barlatt. Free giveaways for those that register ahead of time. Call to register at 330-652-7542.
• Sept. 6 — Free cartoid arteries and abdominal aortic aneurysm screening, Recommended for over 65 who are smokers or have been smokers. By appointment only. Call 330-652-7542.
MERCY HEALTH, Youngstown, Activities include fitness classes like line dancing, aerobics, Zumba, cardio strength and strength training; healthy cooking demonstrations, weight management classes and healthy eating workshops; and health screenings, including weight, waist, body fat, BMI and blood pressure.
• Today: line dancing. 5 to 6 p.m. at United Methodist Community Center, Warren;
• Thursday: Zumba, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at United Methodist Community Center Warren;
to register 330-720-3293.
• Diabetes Self-Management education classes today to Thursday at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, 1044 Belmont Ave., in the Diabetes Classroom, located on the second floor. A physician referral is required to enroll. Classes are not free, but most insurance plans cover the cost. Call 330-480-2665 for help getting a referral from your physician and to register for the class.
• Health screenings and health information on upcoming community health programs at Wednesday to Monday at Canfield Fair, The healthcare leader’s booth will be located in the medical administration building, where visitors can speak with Mercy Health representatives about various healthcare services and answer health questions for a chance to win a gift bag.The Joanie on the Go Mobile Mammography Van will be on site Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with availability to provide nearly 70 mammography screenings.
• The Mercy Health – Youngstown Joanie Abdu Mobile Mammography Van will offer mammograms at several locations around the Mahoning Valley in September.
The van will provide mammograms 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sept. 5 at Cortland Primary Care, 421 S. High St. and 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sept. 7 at Vienna Primary Care, 341 Youngstown-Kingsville Road SE, Vienna. A physician’s prescription and insurance card must be presented at the time of appointment. For information or to make an appointment, call 330-480-2654.
• Treatment for injured student-athletes 9 to 11 a.m. Saturdays. Treatment for all types of orthopaedic and sports injuries will be available. The sports injury clinic will be open every Saturday morning through Nov, 4. The clinic has two locations, Howland Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, 1932 Niles-Cortland Road, NE, Warren; and Boardman Orthopaedics, 835 McKay Court, Boardman. Walk-ins are welcome and no appointment is necessary. Most insurances are accepted. Call Howland location at 330-306-0395 or the Boardman location at 330-758-4399.
ADDICTION HELP: Addiction help is available through Coleman Access Center, 552 N. Park Ave., Warren. For information, call 330-392-1100 or 211. For information about program sponsor, Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board, visit www.trumbullmhrb.org or call 330-675-2765.
PARKINSON’S PROGRAM: Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital fitness program for people with Parkinson’s disease meets 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. Fridays in Hillside’s board room, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland.
For information or to register, call 330-841-3893 or visit vcprograms.net.
EIGHT-STEP PROGRAM: Based on the Beatitudes support group is open 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, for anyone dealing with a life-controlling habit or issue. For information, call 330-599-2402.
SUPPORT GROUP: Circle of Hope, a support group for those with mental health diagnosis, will meet 6 p.m. the second and fourth Monday of each month at Grace United Methodist Church, 1725 Drexel Ave., Warren.
For more information, contact Dave at 330-502-8103.
HEALTH SCREENINGS: Neighborhood Health Watch provides free health screenings once a month at Niles SCOPE. Call 330-480-2011 for a schedule.
WELLNESS CLINICS: Shepherd of the Valley is offering wellness clinics at each of its locations in Trumbull and Mahoning counties. Each site will provide a nurse to check blood pressure and blood glucose levels 10 to 11 a.m.:
• Boardman, 7148 West Blvd., private dining area — first Wednesday of the month.
• Niles, 1500 McKinley Ave., community center — second Wednesday of the month.
• Poland, 301 W. Western Reserve Road, private dining area — third Wednesday of the month.
• Howland, 4100 North River Road, private dining area — fourth Wednesday of the month.
For information, call Matt Hoskins at 330-530-4041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MVI HOSPICE CARE: Bereavement support groups are free to anyone who has lost a loved one, including a pet. Contact Lisa Altman, licensed social worker, at 330-759-9487 for information.
Sessions are 1 to 3 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month at First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren; and 1 to 3 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month and 6 to 8 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month at the Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administration Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Boardman.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT GROUP: A mental health support group meets 6:30 to 8 p.m. the first and third Mondays monthly. For information, call the Mahoning Valley Hope Center at 330-369-3010. Transportation can be arranged.
CELEBRATE RECOVERY: Class is 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays at Warren Revival Center Fellowship Hall, 4000 W. Market St., Leavittsburg. Call 330-898-4295 for information.
QUIT SMOKING FOR FREE DIAPERS: The Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program at the Trumbull County Combined Health District offers pregnant women a free smoking cessation program and an opportunity to receive free diapers up to one year after delivery. For information, call 330-675-2590, Extension 3.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT VACCINATIONS: The Trumbull County Combined Health District offers vaccinations to children and adults. For information, call 330-675-2590, Extension 3. Adult TB testing is available by appointment.
NAMI Mahoning Valley offers support groups for people and families dealing with mental illness:
• Girard Family Support, 11 a.m. first Thursdays monthly, Girard Library, 105 E. Prospect St., Girard.
• Austintown Family Support Group, 7 p.m. second Tuesdays monthly, Alta Care building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
NAMI CONNECTION: Support group for those with mental health diagnosis meetings:
• 1:30 p.m. Thursdays, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
• 6 p.m. second and fourth Thursdays monthly, Alta Care Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
• 6 p.m., second and fourth Wednesday, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
• NAMI Connection for people w/ substance abuse and mental illness, 6 p.m. the second and fourth Wednesday, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave, Youngstown.
For information, visit namimv.org, call 330-727-9268 or e-mail email@example.com.