TCMH SCHEDULE: Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board August meeting schedule is as follows:
• NAMI Mahoning Valley Steering Committee, 11 a.m. Wednesday, Valley Counseling Services, 150 E. Market St., Warren.
• ASAP Opiate Task Force, 9:30 a.m. Aug. 15, TMHA First Floor Conference Room A.
• FCFC Council Meeting, 8:30 a.m. Aug. 17, TMHA First Floor Conference Room A.
• Voices of Youth Committee, 1 p.m. Aug. 17, YWCA 375 North Park Ave., Warren
• Trumbull County United Way Work Day, 8 a.m. Aug. 25, Atrium Eastwood Office Centre
• Youth Mental Health First Aid Training, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 25, TMHA First Floor Conference Room A.
GROUP HYPNOSIS: A group hypnosis session for weight loss and stop smoking will be held 6 p.m. Wednesday at The Yoga Center inside the Governors Insurance building, 972 Youngstown Kingsville Road ( state Route 193 ). There will be a free CD for use at home. For registration, call Steve Tackett at 330-647-0399.
SCOPE HEALTH: The Niles SCOPE Senior Center is announcing its health schedule:
• Free mammograms with Mercy Hospital Mammovan on Thursday. Appointment and pre-registration required.
• Free dental van from Mercy Hospital will visit the center once monthly the remainder of the year.
For information or to make an appointment, contact the center at 330-544-3676.
ADDICTION HELP: Addiction help is available through Coleman Access Center, 552 N. Park Ave., Warren. For information, call 330-392-1100 or 211. For information about program sponsor, Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board, visit www.trumbullmhrb.org or call 330-675-2765.
PARKINSON’S PROGRAM: Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital fitness program for people with Parkinson’s disease meets 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. Fridays in Hillside’s board room, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland.
For information or to register, call 330-841-3893 or visit vcprograms.net.
EIGHT-STEP PROGRAM: Based on the Beatitudes support group is open 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, for anyone dealing with a life-controlling habit or issue. For information, call 330-599-2402.
HEALTH SCREENINGS: Neighborhood Health Watch provides free health screenings once a month at Niles SCOPE. Call 330-480-2011 for a schedule.
WELLNESS CLINICS: Shepherd of the Valley is offering wellness clinics at each of its locations in Trumbull and Mahoning counties. Each site will provide a nurse to check blood pressure and blood glucose levels 10 to 11 a.m.:
• Boardman, 7148 West Blvd., private dining area — first Wednesday of the month.
• Niles, 1500 McKinley Ave., community center — second Wednesday of the month.
• Poland, 301 W. Western Reserve Road, private dining area — third Wednesday of the month.
• Howland, 4100 North River Road, private dining area — fourth Wednesday of the month.
For information, call Matt Hoskins at 330-530-4041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MVI HOSPICE CARE: Bereavement support groups are free to anyone who has lost a loved one, including a pet. Contact Lisa Altman, licensed social worker, at 330-759-9487 for information.
Sessions are 1 to 3 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month at First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren; and 1 to 3 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month and 6 to 8 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month at the Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administration Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Boardman.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT GROUP: A mental health support group meets 6:30 to 8 p.m. the first and third Mondays monthly. For information, call the Mahoning Valley Hope Center at 330-369-3010. Transportation can be arranged.
CELEBRATE RECOVERY: Class is 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays at Warren Revival Center Fellowship Hall, 4000 W. Market St., Leavittsburg. Call 330-898-4295 for information.
QUIT SMOKING FOR FREE DIAPERS: The Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program at the Trumbull County Combined Health District offers pregnant women a free smoking cessation program and an opportunity to receive free diapers up to one year after delivery. For information, call 330-675-2590, Ext. 3.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT VACCINATIONS: The Trumbull County Combined Health District offers vaccinations to children and adults. For information, call 330-675-2590, Ext. 3. Adult TB testing is available by appointment.
NAMI Mahoning Valley offers support groups for people and families dealing with mental illness:
• Girard Family Support, 11 a.m. first Thursdays monthly, Girard Library, 105 E. Prospect St., Girard.
• Austintown Family Support Group, 7 p.m. second Tuesdays monthly, Alta Care building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
NAMI CONNECTION: Support group for those with mental health diagnosis meetings:
• 1:30 p.m. Thursdays, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
• 6 p.m. second and fourth Mondays monthly, Grace United Methodist Church, 1725 Drexel Ave., Warren.
• 6 p.m. second and fourth Thursdays monthly, Alta Care Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
For information, visit namimv.org, call 330-727-9268 or e-mail email@example.com.
MERCY HEALTH PROGRAMS: Mercy Health-Youngstown continues its education, screening and nutrition summer programming. The following upcoming events are open to the public throughout the reading area:
• The Mobile Mammogram van will offer mammograms at several locations around the Mahoning Valley this month. All women 40 and older should have an annual screening mammogram.
The van will provide mammograms from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdayat St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital’s Farmers’ Market, 1044 Belmont Ave, Youngstown; 8:30 a.m. to noon Thursday at Niles SCOPE, 14 E. State St., Niles; 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Friday at Cortland Primary Care, 421 S. High St., Cortland; and from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Aug. 15 at Mineral Ridge Primary Care, 1360 N. Canfield-Niles Road.
A physician’s prescription and insurance card must be presented at appointment time. For information or to make an appointment, call 330-480-2654.
• Diabetes Self-Management Education classes: 9 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 8 through 10 at St. Joseph Warren Hospital in Classrooms 1 and 2; 9 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 15 through 17 at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, 1044 Belmont Ave., Youngstown in the Diabetes Classroom, located on the second floor.
These classes include a series of three sessions, three days in a row – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday – and run for two and a half to three hours each day.
A physician referral is required to enroll. Most insurance plans cover the cost of the class. Call 330-480-2665 for help getting a referral from your physician and to register for the class.
• St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital is hosting a Farmer’s Market 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the hospital’s Park Avenue Lobby. The market is also scheduled for Sept. 13 and Oct. 4.
For more information, call 330-480-3070.
• St Joseph Warren Hospital will offer a free one-hour outpatient Heart Failure 101 class at 1 p.m. on Thursday in the hospital’s Wellness Center. Participants should use Entrance B.
For more information or to register, call 330-841-4327.
• Mercy Health-Youngstown’s Hispanic Health program will offer A1C, cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides and blood pressure screenings this month at various locations in the Valley.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL, located next to Sears at the Eastwood Mall, Niles. Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Call 330-652-7542.
• Free notary public services and free living wills and durable power of attorney for health care, 9 a.m. to noon Wednesday with help from Palliative Care staff.
• Pain Management Update with Mary Giardina, NP from Mercy Health Pain Management Center, 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. Thursday. Call to register.
• Free bone density screening, 9 a.m. to noon Friday. Come in and have an ultrasound of the heel bone to screen for Osteoporosis. No appointment necessary
• New Tai Chi Chih class, 10 to 11 a.m. Aug. 15. Nine week class. Call 330-727-4477 to register.
• Talk with the doc program, 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. Aug. 16. “What is Osteoporosis?” with Dr.Jonathon Gonzalez speaking. To register, call to register 330-652-7542. A light lunch will be available for a small fee.
• Both pneumonia vaccines available. Call for information.
• Exercise Classes — Free low-impact aerobic group exercise 8:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday; new SilverSneakers Cardio class 10 a.m. Monday and Friday; free SilverSneakers class 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday; easy yoga class 11 a.m. Monday and 9:30 a.m. Thursday; free chair yoga class 1 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m. Wednesday and Friday; exercise class for people with Parkinson’s 11 a.m. Monday and Friday; Zumba Gold classes 8:15 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday and 4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday (free for SilverSneakers); balance / movement exercise 11 a.m. Thursdays; SilverSneaker stability class 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays; and new Buns and Guns exercise class 10 a.m. Wednesdays (free to SilverSneakers).