ADDICTION HELP: Addiction help is available through Coleman Access Center, 552 N. Park Ave., Warren. For information, call 330-392-1100 or 211. For information about program sponsor, Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board, visit www.trumbullmhrb.org or call 330-675-2765.
PARKINSON’S PROGRAM: Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital fitness program for people with Parkinson’s disease meets 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. Fridays in Hillside’s board room, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland.
For information or to register, call 330-841-3893 or visit vcprograms.net.
EIGHT-STEP PROGRAM: Based on the Beatitudes support group is open 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, for anyone dealing with a life-controlling habit or issue. For information, call 330-599-2402.
HEALTH SCREENINGS: Neighborhood Health Watch provides free health screenings once a month at Niles SCOPE. Call 330-480-2011 for a schedule.
ARTHRITIS AND JOINT PAIN SEMINAR: Shepherd of the Valley is hosting guest doctors to explain arthritis and present treatment options including medications, therapy and minimally invasive hip and knee arthroplasty surgery.
Be sure to bring your questions. Brunch and refreshments will be served.
Local seminar details:
• Ken Jons, M.D., will speak at 1 p.m. on Aug. 9 at Shepherd of the Valley – Howland, 4100 North River Road NE. Warren. RSVP to 330-856-9232 by Aug. 2.
WELLNESS CLINICS: Shepherd of the Valley is offering wellness clinics at each of its locations in Trumbull and Mahoning counties. Each site will provide a nurse to check blood pressure and blood glucose levels, 10 to 11 a.m.:
• Boardman, 7148 West Blvd., private dining area — first Wednesday of the month.
• Niles, 1500 McKinley Ave., community center — second Wednesday of the month.
• Poland, 301 W. Western Reserve Road, private dining area — third Wednesday of the month.
• Howland, 4100 North River Road, private dining area — fourth Wednesday of the month.
For information, call Matt Hoskins at 330-530-4041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MVI HOSPICE CARE: Bereavement support groups are free to anyone who has lost a loved one, including a pet. Contact Lisa Altman, licensed social worker, at 330-759-9487 for information.
Sessions are 1 to 3 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month at First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren; and 1 to 3 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month and 6 to 8 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month at the Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administration Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Boardman.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT GROUP: A mental health support group meets 6:30 to 8 p.m. the first and third Mondays monthly. For information, call the Mahoning Valley Hope Center at 330-369-3010. Transportation can be arranged.
CELEBRATE RECOVERY: Class is 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays at Warren Revival Center Fellowship Hall, 4000 W. Market St., Leavittsburg. Call 330-898-4295 for information.
QUIT SMOKING FOR FREE DIAPERS: The Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program at the Trumbull County Combined Health District offers pregnant women a free smoking cessation program and an opportunity to receive free diapers for up to one year after delivery. For information, call 330-675-2590, Ext. 3.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT VACCINATIONS: The Trumbull County Combined Health District offers vaccinations to children and adults. For information, call 330-675-2590, Ext. 3. Adult TB testing is available by appointment.
NAMI Mahoning Valley offers support groups for people and families dealing with mental illness.
• Girard Family Support, 11 a.m., first Thursdays monthly, Girard Library, 105 E. Prospect St., Girard.
• Austintown Family Support Group, 7 p.m. second Tuesdays monthly, Alta Care building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
NAMI CONNECTION: Support group for those with mental health diagnosis meetings:
• 1:30 p.m. Thursdays, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
• 6 p.m. second and fourth Mondays monthly, Grace United Methodist Church, 1725 Drexel Ave., Warren.
• 6 p.m. second and fourth Thursdays monthly, Alta Care Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
For information, visit namimv.org, call 330-727-9268 or e-mail email@example.com.
TCMH SCHEDULE: Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board July meeting schedule is as follows:
• TCMHRB 20th Annual Golf Outing, 9 a.m. Friday, Riverview Golf Club Newton Falls.
• FCFC Executive Meeting, 8:30 a.m. today, board conference room.
• Adult CQI Committee (HIPAA Restrictions Apply), 12:30 p.m. today, board conference room.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL, located next to Sears at the Eastwood Mall, Niles. Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Call 330-652-7542.
• Free peripheral vascular disease screening, 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday. Nurse will measure blood flow to the legs by doing Ankle Brachial Index. By appointment only.
• Free notary public services and free living wills and durable power of attorney for healthcare, 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday. Completed this day with help from Palliative Care staff.
• MH Prescription Drug Assistance staff member will help you with paying for your medicine, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday. We can help you find out if you meet drug company program guidelines.
• Both pneumonia vaccines available. Call for information.
• Exercise Classes — Free low-impact aerobic group exercise 8:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday; new SilverSneakers Cardio class 10 a.m. Monday and Friday; free SilverSneakers class 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday; easy yoga class 11 a.m. Monday and 9:30 a.m. Thursday; free chair yoga class 1 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m. Wednesday and Friday; exercise class for people with Parkinson’s 11 a.m. Monday and Friday; Zumba Gold classes 8:15 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday and 4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday (free for SilverSneakers); balance / movement exercise 11 a.m. Thursdays; SilverSneaker stability class 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays; and new Buns and Guns exercise class 10 a.m. Wednesdays (free to SilverSneakers).
BREASTFEEDING AWARENESS: In support of this year’s theme for the 2017 Breastfeeding Awareness Month, Trumbull County WIC is hosting “The Big Latch On” event at 10 a.m. on Aug. 4 at the Trumbull County WIC office, 258 East Market St. Suite 201, Warren. Women gather together to breastfeed and offer peer support to each other. This event is a celebration of breastfeeding moms and the team that supports them.
August is Breastfeeding Awareness Month in Ohio and Aug. 1 through 7 is World Breastfeeding Week (WBW). Research suggests that breastfeeding is a key modifiable factor for disease for both mothers and infants. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that Ohio’s 2016 breastfeeding initiation rate of 77.7 percent ranks 38th in the nation.
For more information about breastfeeding please call Trumbull County WIC Breastfeeding Support at 330-306-5072. For questions about the WIC program or to schedule your appointment call the Trumbull County WIC office at 330-394-0990 or visit our Trumbull County WIC Facebook page.