ARTHRITIS AND JOINT PAIN SEMINAR: Shepherd of the Valley is hosting guest doctors to explain arthritis and present treatment options including medications, therapy and minimally invasive hip and knee arthroplasty surgery.
Be sure to bring your questions. Brunch and refreshments will be served.
Local seminar details:
• Dr. Matt Stonestreet will speak at 9 a.m. on June 20 at Shepherd of the Valley – Niles, 1500 McKinley Ave. RSVP to 330-544-0771 by Wednesday
MATTER OF BALANCE PROGRAM: The Matter of Balance Class is an award-winning program designed to manage falls and increase activity levels. The free eight-session class is at 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Liberty Township Administration Building. To register, call the Girard Multi-Generational Center at 330-545-6596.
PFLAG MEETS: Youngstown Area Parents, Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is a local chapter of the national support, education and advocacy organization. Support meetings are 6:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 323 Wick Ave., Youngstown.
Meetings are free and confidential. Refreshments will be served.
AWARENESS VOLUNTEERS: Solace of the Valley is looking for volunteers to share education on addiction. The Trumbull County Smart Recovery Group is held 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at Howland Glen Elementary School. This is an alternative to the 12-step program.
Also, a Healing Hearts Group meets 6 p.m. Mondays at Grace Church for anyone who has lost someone to an overdose.
For more information, contact Linda Spies at 330-307-8182, email@example.com or Karrie Clark at 330-770-1750, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ADDICTION HELP: Addiction help is available through Coleman Access Center, 552 N. Park Ave., Warren. For information, call 330-392-1100 or 211.
For information about program sponsor, Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board, visit www.trumbullmhrb.org or call 330-675-2765.
SCOPE BLOOD DRIVE: The Niles SCOPE Senior Center, is hosting an American Red Cross Blood Drive from 1 to 5 p.m. June 27. For information, contact the center at 330-544-3676.
PARKINSON’S PROGRAM: Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital fitness program for people with Parkinson’s disease meets 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. Fridays in Hillside’s board room, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland.
For information or to register, call 330-841-3893 or visit vcprograms.net.
EIGHT-STEP PROGRAM: Based on the Beatitudes support group is open 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, for anyone dealing with a life-controlling habit or issue.
For information, call 330-599-2402.
HEALTH SCREENINGS: Neighborhood Health Watch provides free health screenings once a month at Niles SCOPE. Call 330-480-2011 for a schedule.
WELLNESS CLINICS: Shepherd of the Valley is offering wellness clinics at each of its Trumbull and Mahoning County locations. Each site will provide a nurse to check blood pressure and blood glucose levels, 10 to 11 a.m.:
• Boardman, 7148 West Blvd., private dining area — first Wednesday of each month.
• Niles, 1500 McKinley Ave., community center — second Wednesday of the month.
• Poland, 301 W. Western Reserve Road, private dining area — third Wednesday of the month
• Howland, 4100 North River Road, private dining area — fourth Wednesday of the month.
For information, call Matt Hoskins at 330-530-4041 or email@example.com.
MVI HOSPICE CARE: Bereavement support groups are free to anyone who has lost a loved one, including a pet. Contact Lisa Altman, licensed social worker, at 330-759-9487 for information.
Sessions are 1 to 3 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month at First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren; and 1 to 3 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month and 6 to 8 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month at the Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administration Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Boardman.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT GROUP: A mental health support group meets 6:30 to 8 p.m. the first and third Mondays monthly. For information, call the Mahoning Valley Hope Center at 330-369-3010. Transportation can be arranged.
CELEBRATE RECOVERY: Class is 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays at Warren Revival Center Fellowship Hall, 4000 W. Market St., Leavittsburg. Call 330-898-4295 for information.
QUIT SMOKING FOR FREE DIAPERS: The Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program at the Trumbull County Combined Health District offers pregnant women a free smoking cessation program and an opportunity to receive free diapers for up to one year after delivery. For information, call 330-675-2590, Extension 3.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT VACCINATIONS: The Trumbull County Combined Health District offers vaccinations to children and adults. For information, call 330-675-2590, Extension 3. Adult TB testing is available by appointment.
NAMI Mahoning Valley offers support groups for people and families dealing with mental illness.
• Girard Family Support, 11 a.m., first Thursdays monthly, Girard Library, 105 E. Prospect St., Girard.
• Austintown Family Support Group, 7 p.m., second Tuesdays monthly, Alta Care building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
NAMI CONNECTION: Support group for those with mental health diagnosis meetings:
• 1:30 p.m. Thursdays, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
• 6 p.m., second and fourth Mondays monthly, Grace United Methodist Church, 1725 Drexel Ave., Warren.
• 6 p.m., second and fourth Thursdays monthly, Alta Care Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
For information, visit namimv.org, call 330-727-9268 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
MERCY HEALTH-YOUNGSTOWN: Mercy Health-Youngstown is offering the following free events:
• Hispanic Health program provides screenings such as A1C, cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides and blood pressure throughout June. Screenings are scheduled for 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. today, Beatitude House, 145 Glenellen Ave., Youngstown, 330-792-3644; 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Catholic Charities Regional Agency, 319 W. Rayen Ave., Youngstown, 330-744-3320; 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Friday, El Torero Restaurant, 330-637-2550.
• Diabetes Self-Management Education classes will be held today through Thursday and June 27 to 29 at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, and June 20 to 22 at St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital. A doctor referral is needed. Most insurances cover the cost of the classes. Call 330-480-2665 for information.
• Free program on how to take charge of wellbeing by taking charge of what one eats will be held at St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital. Program is eating mindfulness, 12:30 to 2 p.m. June 23. To register, call 330-480-3070.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL
• Free notary public services and free living wills and durable power of attorney for health care, 9 am. to noon Wednesday.
• How to Stretch Properly, 10 to 10:45 a.m. Wednesday. Register at 330-652-7542.
• Free blood pressure screenings, 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday; and 2 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Exercise Classes — Free low-impact aerobic group exercise, 8:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. New SilverSneakers Cardio class 10 a.m. Monday and Friday. Free SilverSneakers class, 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday; easy yoga class, 11 a.m. Monday and 9:30 a.m. Thursday; free chair yoga class, 1 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m. Wednesday and Friday; exercise class for people with Parkinson’s, 11 a.m. Monday and Friday; Zumba Gold classes at 8:15 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday and 4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday (free for SilverSneakers); balance / movement exercise, 11 a.m. Thursdays; SilverSneaker stability class, 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays; and new Buns and Guns exercise class 10 a.m. Wednesdays (free to SilverSneakers).
VALLEYCARE HEALTH SYSTEM OF OHIO
• The Brain Injury Family Intervention and Insight Support Group is a survivor and family education / intervention program that serves brain injury patients, their caregivers and families. Group meetings are 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. the third Thursday of each month in the Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital board room. Call 330-841-3893 to register.
• The Mahoning Valley Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets 5 to 7 p.m. the second Monday of every month in the Occupational / Center One Gym at Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital. Call 330-841-3709.
• The Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital Stroke Support Group meets 2:30 to 4 p.m. the first Thursday of every month in the Hillside board room for stroke survivors, family and friends. Call 330-841-3891.
• The Alzheimer’s Association support group meets 10 a.m. the third Wednesday monthly in Conference Room F on the ground floor of Trumbull Memorial Hospital. Call 800-272-3900.
• The Birthplace at Trumbull Memorial Hospital provides a Latch-On Breastfeeding Support Group 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays in the Birthplace family waiting room (on 3 North). Call 330-841-9913.
• A Trumbull Memorial Hospital Diabetes Education Outpatient Group Class is held over four days. A doctor’s referral is required. Call 330-841-9689.