GRIEF SUPPORT: Church Hill UMC, 189 Churchill Hubbard Road, Liberty, will begin another 13-week session of “Grief Share” on Thursday. Meet at 6 p.m. in the church parlor on the second floor of the educational wing. This 13-week session is a Christian-based, Christ-centered program and all are welcome who have suffered the loss of a loved one or friend. There is a $15 charge for the workbook for this program; the workbook is for your use only.
For more information, call 330-759-1924.
GRIEF SUPPORT: Howland United Methodist Church, 730 Howland-Wilson Road, is offering a GriefShare support group for individuals who have lost a loved one to death, from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturdays for 12 weeks. Participants can join at any point throughout the 12 weeks. Contact the church office at 330-856-3463 for more information.
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR FIRST AID KIT: Naturopathic doctor Dannielle MacDuff is offering a four-week course on how and when to use essential oils and how to include them in your first aid kit. The course is for those who prefer holistic remedies rather than prescription medication.
The course will be 7 to 8:30 p.m Jan. 19 and 26 and Feb. 2 and 9, at ETI Technical College, 2076 Youngstown-Warren Road, Niles. Cost is a donation to the Phoenix House Building Fund and includes all costs and materials associated with the class. Register online at drdanni.eventbrite.com or call 330-758-9567.
IMMUNIZATION CLINIC: The Warren City Health Department will hold regular childhood immunization clinics January through March. All clinics are walk-in; no appointment is necessary. The child should be well and have an updated shot record for each visit. Administration fee charged.
The clinic for January is 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. Jan. 23. All clinics are held at the Warren City Health Department, 258 E. Market St. Suite 327, Warren. For more information and questions, call 330-841-2596.
NILES SCOPE HEALTH SCHEDULE: The Niles SCOPE Senior Center is announcing its health schedule for January. For more information, contact the center at 330-544-3676.
• Blood screenings and blood pressures are tentatively scheduled for Friday.
• An American Red Cross Blood Drive will be Jan. 24.
VALLEYCARE OFFERS MARKETPLACE ASSISTANCE: Consumers who have not yet signed up for health insurance through the government’s Health Insurance Marketplace still have time–but an important deadline is fast approaching.
A plan must be selected and the premium paid by Jan. 31 to obtain coverage effective March 1.
ValleyCare continues to offer free application assistance to help individuals evaluate insurance options on the Marketplace and complete their application forms. However, ValleyCare’s certified application counselors are encouraging those needing help to reserve appointments early, as schedules typically book quickly this month. To schedule an appointment with an application counselor at Northside Medical Center, call 330-884-2710. To schedule an appointment with an application counselor at Trumbull Memorial Hospital, call 330-841-9335.
HILLSIDE OFFERS PARKINSON’S PROGRAM: Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital is offering a fitness program for people with Parkinson’s disease 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. Fridays at Hillside’s boardroom, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland. For information or to register, call 330-841-3893 or visit vcprograms.net.
PROGRAM OFFERED FOR DEALING WITH ISSUES: An eight-step program based on the Beatitudes is open to anyone dealing with a life-controlling habit or issue 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, Bloomfield. For information, call 330-599-2402.
HEALTH SCREENINGS: Neighborhood Health Watch provides free health screenings once a month at Niles SCOPE. Call 330-480-2011 for a schedule.
MVI HOSPICE CARE: Bereavement support groups are free to anyone who has lost a loved one, including a pet. Contact Lisa Altman, licensed social worker, at 330-759-9487 for additional information.
Sessions are 1 to 3 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month at First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren, and 1 to 3 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month and 6 to 8 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month at the Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administration Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Boardman.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT GROUP: A mental health support group meets 6:30 to 8 p.m. the first and third Monday of each month. For more information, call the Mahoning Valley Hope Center at 330-369-3010. Transportation can be arranged.
CELEBRATE RECOVERY CLASS PLANNED: A class using Celebrate Recovery materials will be 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays at the Warren Revival Center Fellowship Hall, 4000 W. Market St., Leavittsburg. Call 330-898-4295 for information.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT VACCINATIONS: The Trumbull County Combined Health District is offering vaccinations to children and adults. For information, prices or an appointment, call 330-675-2590, Extension 3. Adult TB testing is available by appointment.
, the local affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, offers a variety of support and educational groups for families and individuals dealing with mental health issues.
• NAMI family support groups are monthly groups aimed at providing information and support for family members and friends of individuals with mental illness. They are 11 a.m. the first Thursday of every month at the Girard Library, 105 E. Prospect St., Girard, and 7 p.m. on the second Tuesday of every month at D&E Counseling Center, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
• NAMI Connection is a support group connecting individuals who live with mental illness in a structured discussion format. It is limited to adults living with a mental health diagnosis, and free to anyone with a mental health diagnosis. Groups meet 1:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown, and 6 p.m. the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at Alta Counseling Center, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
For information, call 330-531-7490, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit namimv.org.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL: The site next to Sears in the Eastwood Mall is open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. For information, call 330-652-7542, unless otherwise noted.
• Free blood pressure screenings 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and 2 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Flu shots and pneumonia vaccines available. Call for details.
• Strong Hearts-Strong Bones — Fitness center with 40 strength and cardio machines. Call or stop in for an appointment to join. All members receive an initial free fitness evaluation and personalized workout plan with the exercise physiologist. Weight management through strength training is available.
• St. Joe’s at the Mall is a SilverSneakers site and a Silver and Fit site. Those with the Medicare Part C plan may be eligible.
• Monthly Exercise Classes — Free low-impact aerobic group exercise, 8:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 10 a.m. Monday and Friday; free SilverSneakers class, 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday; easy yoga class, 11 a.m. Monday and 9:30 a.m. Thursday (free with SilverSneakers); chair yoga class, 11 a.m. Wednesday and Friday; exercise class for people with Parkinson’s, 11 a.m. Monday and Friday; Zumba classes at 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday and Thursday and 4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday (free for SilverSneakers); Balance Booster class, 11 a.m. Thursdays; new SilverSneaker stability class, 8:30 a.m. Tuesdays; and new Buns and Guns exercise class 10 a.m. Wednesdays (free to SilverSneakers).
• Talk with The Doc Program, noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday. Flu, Common Cold & other viruses discussed. Knowing the difference. Doctor to be announced. Call to register. Lunch available for fee.
• Special Lab Express from 9 to 11 a.m. Jan. 25. Get a Thyroid (TSH) or Prostate (PSA) for $10 each. Or a HgA1c (diabetes) for $15. Non fasting labs. Only labs available this day. Walk in.
• Free Peripheral Vascular Disease Screening, 1 to 4 p.m. Jan. 26. Nurse will measure blood flow to the legs by doing Ankle Brachial Index. By appointment only. Call 330-652-7542.
• Free notary public services and free living wills and durable power of attorney for healthcare, 1 to 4 p.m. Jan. 26. Completed this day with help from Palliative Care staff.
• Free Adult Hearing Screening, 1 to 3 p.m. Jan. 26, by Mercy Health Audiologist. By Appointment only.
VALLEYCARE HEALTH SYSTEM OF OHIO — ValleyCare Health System of Ohio’s programs and support groups are offered at Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland, and Trumbull Memorial Hospital, 1350 E. Market St., Warren.
• The Brain Injury Family Intervention and Insight Support Group is a survivor and family education / intervention program that serves brain injury patients, their caregivers and families. The group meets 6:30 to 8 p.m. the third Thursday of every month, except for July and August, in the boardroom. For meeting topic information or to register, call 330-841-3893.
• The Mahoning Valley Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets 5 to 6 p.m. the second Monday of every month in the Occupational Center One Gym at Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital. For more information or to register, call 330-841-3709.
• The Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital Stroke Support Group meets 2:30 to 4 p.m. the first Thursday of every month in the boardroom at Hillside. Stroke survivors, their family members and friends are welcome. For more information or to register, call 330-841-3891.
• The Alzheimer’s Association support group meets 10 a.m. the third Wednesday of every month in conference room F on the ground floor of Trumbull Memorial Hospital. These free meetings are open to all caregivers and family members of a loved one living with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia. Registration is appreciated, but not required. For more information, call 800-272-3900.
• The Birthplace at Trumbull Memorial Hospital provides Lamaze-in-a-Day and breastfeeding basics education classes. All classes are at Trumbull Memorial and a tour of the Birthplace is included. For more information, call 330- 841-9880.
• The Birthplace provides a Latch-On Breastfeeding Support Group, which meets 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays in the Birthplace family waiting room at TMH. This group is free and is run by board-certified lactation consultants. Registration is appreciated, but not required. For more information, call 330-841-19880.
• Trumbull Memorial Hospital Diabetes Education provides an outpatient group class that is held over four days. Times are 2 to 3 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays and 1:30 to 3 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays at TMH. Evening classes are offered quarterly Monday through Thursday and individual sessions are offered Monday through Friday. There is a fee for the classes, and a doctor’s referral and registration are required. For more information or to register, call 330-841-9689.