PSA BLOOD DRAW: Mercy Health lab personnel will perform a PSA blood draw 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Midlothian Free Health Clinic inside First Presbyterian Church, 201 Wick Ave., Youngstown. Free to all men more than 40 who are uninsured or underinsured.
To register, call Mercy Health-Youngstown at 330-480-3405.
BLUE CHRISTMAS: Harbor Light Hospice, Shepherd of the Valley and Lane Fammily Funeral Homes invite you to Blue Christmas, a 6 p.m. service to offer support, healing and encouragement during the holidays, at Shepherd of the Valley, 301 W. Western Reserve Road, Poland. We will reflect and remember that which has lessened the glow this time of year.
Registration and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
RSVP by Thursday to Shepherd of the Valley at 330-726-7110, Ext. 0. For more information, contact Harbor Light at 330-759-5270.
LIFELINE AT SCOPE: Life Line Screening, a leading provider of community-based preventive health screenings, will host their affordable, non-invasive and painless health screenings Dec. 7 at Warren SCOPE Senior Center. Five screenings will be offered that scan for potential health problems related to stroke, heart disease, bone density screening and vascular tests. The Wellness Package includes four vascular tests and oseoporosis screening from $149. In order to register for this event and to receive a $10 discount off any package priced above $129, call 1-888-653-6441 or visit www.lifelinescreening.com/community-partners.
SURVIVING THE HOLIDAYS: Grief Share is offering a “Surviving The Holidays” seminar 6 p.m. Dec. 11, especially for people who are grieving a loved one’s death, at Leavittsburg Church of God.
The seminar, open to the public, combines video and group discussion.
Preregistration is due through the church by Nov. 27. Send registrations, with $5 for partipant guide, to Leavittsburg Church of God, 610 S. Leavitt Road, P.O. Box 131, Leavittsburg, OH 44430. For more information on Grief Share or Surviving The Holidays, visit www.griefshare.org or contact the church at 330-898-1131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HILLSIDE OFFERS PARKINSON’S PROGRAM: Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital is offering a fitness program for people with Parkinson’s disease 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. Fridays at Hillside’s boardroom, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland. For information or to register, call 330-841-3893 or visit vcprograms.net.
PROGRAM OFFERED FOR DEALING WITH ISSUES: An eight-step program based on the Beatitudes is open to anyone dealing with a life-controlling habit or issue 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, Bloomfield. For information, call 330-599-2402.
HEALTH SCREENINGS: Neighborhood Health Watch provides free health screenings once a month at Niles SCOPE. Call 330-480-2011 for a schedule.
MVI HOSPICECARE: Bereavement support groups are free to anyone who has lost a loved one, including a pet. Contact Lisa Altman, licensed social worker, at 330-759-9487 for additional information. Sessions are 1 to 3 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month at First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren; and 1 to 3 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month and 6 to 8 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month at the Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administrative Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Boardman.
MOOD DISORDER SUPPORT GROUP MEETS: Mental Wellness Circle of Hope holds meetings 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. the second and fourth Monday of the month at Grace United Methodist Church, 1725 Drexel Drive NW, Warren. The group is open to anyone diagnosed with a mood disorder, has a loved one who is diagnosed or who thinks they might have depression or bipolar disorder. The group offers peer-to-peer support. For more information, call 330-502-8103.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT GROUP: A mental health support group meets 6:30 to 8 p.m. the first and third Monday of each month. For more information, call the Mahoning Valley Hope Center at 330-369-3010. Transportation can be arranged.
CELEBRATE RECOVERY CLASS PLANNED: A class using Celebrate Recovery materials will be 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays at the Warren Revival Center Fellowship Hall, 4000 W. Market St., Leavittsburg. Call 330-898-4295 for information.
FLU CLINICS TO BE HELD: Flu clinics will be 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. daily at the Warren West Community Health Center, 716 Tod Ave. SW, Warren. Walk-ins are welcome. Call 330-373-0222 for more information.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT VACCINATIONS: The Trumbull County Combined Health District is offering vaccinations to children and adults. For information, prices or an appointment, call 330-675-2590, extension 3. Adult TB testing is available by appointment.
NAMI Mahoning Valley, the local affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, offers a variety of support and educational groups for families and individuals dealing with mental health issues.
• NAMI family support groups are monthly groups aimed at providing information and support for family members and friends of individuals with mental illness. They are 11 a.m. the first Thursday of every month at the Girard Library, 105 E. Prospect St., Girard, and 7 p.m. on the second Tuesday of every month at D&E Counseling Center, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
• NAMI Connection is a support group connecting individuals who live with mental illness in a structured discussion format. It is limited to adults living with a mental health diagnosis to promote self-disclosure in a safe, confidential environment. It is free to anyone with a mental health diagnosis. Groups meet 1:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown, and 6 p.m. the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at D&E Counseling Center, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
For information, call 330-531-7490, email email@example.com, or visit namimv.org for more info.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL: The site next to Sears in the Eastwood Mall is open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. For information, call 330-652-7542, unless otherwise noted.
• Free blood pressure screenings 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and 2 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Flu shots and pneumonia vaccines available. Call for details.
• Strong Hearts-Strong Bones — Fitness center with 40 strength and cardio machines. Call or stop in for an appointment to join. All members receive an initial free fitness evaluation and personalized workout plan with the exercise physiologist. Call for an appointment. Weight management through strength training is available for fee.
• St. Joe’s at the Mall is a SilverSneakers site and a Silver and Fit site. Those with the Medicare Part C plan may be eligible.
• Monthly Exercise Classes — Free low-impact aerobic group exercise, 8:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 10 a.m. Monday and Friday; free SilverSneakers class, 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday; easy yoga class, 11 a.m. Monday and 9:30 a.m. Thursday (free with SilverSneakers); free chair yoga class, 11 a.m. Wednesday and Friday; free exercise class for people with Parkinson’s, 11 a.m. Monday and Friday; New Zumba classes weekly at 8:15 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday and 4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday (free for SilverSneakers); Balance Booster class, 11 a.m. Thursdays. New SilverSneaker Stability Class, 8:30 a.m. Tuesdays.
• Free Peripheral Vascular Disease screening,1 to 4 p.m. Thursday. Nurse will measure blood flow to the legs by doing Ankle Brachial Index. By appointment only.
• Free notary public services and free living wills and durable power of attorney for healthcare, 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday. Completed this day with help from Palliative Care staff.
• Just Walk! Walk With A Doc event is 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. Friday. This monthly event will combine an informative talk and a walk around the Eastwood Mall with local physicians. This month is Dr. Cynthia Kravec. Free giveaways for those that register ahead of time & refreshments. Call to register.
• Free carotid artery or abdominal aortic aneruysm screening for those at risk and meet criteria. Recommended for over 65 who are smokers or have been smokers. By appointment only. All others for a fee.
VALLEYCARE HEALTH SYSTEM OF OHIO — ValleyCare Health System of Ohio’s programs and support groups are offered at Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland, and Trumbull Memorial Hospital, 1350 E. Market St., Warren.
• The Brain Injury Family Intervention and Insight Support Group is a survivor and family education/intervention program that serves brain injury patients, their caregivers and families. The group meets the third Thursday every month (except for July and August) from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the Boardroom at Hillside. For meeting topic information or to register, call 330-841-3893.
• The Mahoning Valley Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets the second Monday of every month from 5 to 6 p.m. in the Occupational/Center One Gym at Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital. For more information or to register, call 330-841-3709.
• The Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital Stroke Support Group meets the first Thursday of every month from 2:30 to 4 p.m. in the Boardroom at Hillside. Stroke survivors, their family members and friends are welcome to attend. For more information or to register, call 330-841-3891.
• The Alzheimer’s Association support group meets the third Wednesday of every month at 10 a.m. in Conference Room F on the ground floor of Trumbull Memorial Hospital. These support group meetings are free and open to all caregivers and family members of a loved one living with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia. Registration is appreciated but not required. For more information or to register, call 800-272-3900.
• The Birthplace at Trumbull Memorial Hospital provides Lamaze-in-a-Day and Breastfeeding Basics education classes. All classes are held at Trumbull Memorial and a complimentary tour of the Birthplace is included with Lamaze-in-a-Day class. For more information on class schedules or to register, call 330- 841-9880.
• The Birthplace at Trumbull Memorial Hospital also provides a Latch-On Breastfeeding Support Group, which meets every Wednesday from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the Birthplace family waiting room (on 3 North) at Trumbull Memorial. This support group is provided free of charge, is run by one of our board-certified lactation consultants, and registration is appreciated but not required. For more information or to register, call 330-841-19880.
• Trumbull Memorial Hospital Diabetes Education provides an Outpatient Group Class, which is held over four days. Times are Mondays and Tuesdays from 2 to 3 p.m., and Wednesdays and Thursdays from 1:30 to 3 p.m. at Trumbull Memorial. Evening classes are offered quarterly Monday through Thursday, and individual sessions are offered Monday through Friday. There is a fee for the classes, and a doctor’s referral and registration are required. For more information or to register, call 330-841-9689.